Do I need separate USB Recovery Drives???

cyberjock045

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
Searched around and got close, but didn't see an answer for this so I thought I would make my first post on Tom's.

We have several different brand desktop/laptops here at the office… (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc.) All running Windows 10 64bit. I always like to make a Windows 10 USB Recovery Drive and select the “Back up system files to the recovery drive” so I can reload Windows in the case I have to replace the hard drive due to failure. I’m sure I would have to make a separate recovery drive for 64bit and 32bit versions if we had any 32bit machines but we don’t, they are all 64bit. My question is do I need to make separate recovery drive for each machine, brand or editions (Home, Pro, etc.)? . In other words would I have to make a separate recovery drive with system files for every single machine we have, or just one for every different brand machine, or every different edition, or would 1 recovery drive with system files be able to reload Windows 10 on all 64bit machines? All machines are running OEM Windows 10 from the hardware manufacture. Thanks for the help!

Solution
Because they are different brands and hardware configurations you will need different recovery discs for them. When you make the recovery disc it pulls in current drivers and so forth so to try and use one made on a Dell on an HP you're asking for trouble. Version as well (Home, pro, etc)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Because they are different brands and hardware configurations you will need different recovery discs for them. When you make the recovery disc it pulls in current drivers and so forth so to try and use one made on a Dell on an HP you're asking for trouble. Version as well (Home, pro, etc)

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If you end up with multiples of the identical machine you can use the same image, just in case that situation comes up, or maybe going forward you may want to plan purchases this way.