Do I need the network adapter disc to us ethe network adapter for the PS2?

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
I'm going to buy a PS2 and I eventually want to get the network adapter but I'm unsure if at this point in time all the drivers will load automatically or whether I still need the disc.

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

So I can use the hard drive, and secondarily so I can be network connected, although I doubt any co-op for PS2 games are still running on any servers.

Are you implying that I don't need the hard drive (unless I want to play that singular Final Fantasy game that only works with a hard drive) and that I don't need the network adapter for a network connection?

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
From what I recall, some game servers have been shut down. Final Fantasy 11 just shut down their servers after 14 years in March, to play online in certain games that are down, you need to do something with xlink, and yeah you probably need the network adapter startup disc to configure it and as for the hard drive, make sure the hard drive is formatted for the ps2 itself, which you can do with a hard drive format utility disc, which u can find online too

consptheory77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

As it turns out, I didn't need a utility disc to setup the network connection or to format the hard drive. I used a collection of programs called McBoot, along with a separate but associated one called HDLoader, and formatted a 250GB Seagate HDD, so now I can rip the games I buy, as long as they are 4GB or under (there's another solution for dual layer games, but that's too involved for me to want to spend the time to figure out when the limitation only applies to a few games) . I was able to setup the network connection using a James Bond game, Everything or Nothing, that I picked up for a dollar at a used bookstore.

All I need now is the $40 upscaler so I can connect the PS2 to my IPS HDMI monitor in the bedroom instead of the LCD Component TV in the living room.