Question Do I need these 22AWG wires on the 24P connector?

Sep 18, 2019
I have a ENP 7660 FLEX PSU with really terrible wires and I am trying to improve things with sleeves. My 24P connector has an extra 22AWG 3.3V, 5V, and 12V wire tied to the 4, 10, 13 pins respectively and I want to cut them out and solder/crimp them to the 18AWG wire already there near their base so only ~24 wires go to the 24P connector. Think this should be fine to do or do FLEX PSU's use these wires for some measurements or power spike control?

Ralston18

Titan
No. Not fine to do.

If the Flex PSU has terrible wires then return it and get a well reviewed PSU.

There should be no need to go to all that effort for a PSU in that price range.

Could be counterfeit, poorly refurbished, or just a plain lack of QA at the manufacturing site.

The cutting/soldering etc. will just add more chances for things to go wrong and will certainly void any warranty.

I would not risk such a "modified" PSU in anything but a fully expendable computer and only if circumstances force doing so.

Sep 18, 2019
I don't think I can return it because I already started cutting the pcie connectors up.

The 7660 is 80 plus platinum, it is safe and efficient unless 80 plus doesn't mean anything anymore. Plus it is the most powerful thing that can fit in my case.

Any guess what these 22AWG wires might be for?

Last edited: