[SOLVED] Do I need to add more fans to the case?

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
I ask because I do a mix of gaming and video editing. Normal temps without editing are within 40-72 degrees max for the CPU which is intel i7-7700. When I do video editing ie exporting videos, temps increase from 80-100 degrees.

What I want to know is if adding more case fans helps make the CPU cooler? As far as case fans go, there is one 120mm in the front and one on the rear. The front supports 140mm fans as well.

Solution
If you don't care about one that is there now, I would get 2 x 140 as they push more air at a slower rate

Can you remove the bottom drive bay? as it might restrict air flow but thats more for the GPU.

If its cooling GPU it means less hot air coming from it into CPU, so yes... it could help CPU.

more cool air always helps.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
How many fans can you install on the front?

Ideally, there should be two fans pulling air in from the front and one pushing air out from the rear (not counting the PSU fan).

I can install upto two fans. The case supports both 120mm and 140mm for the front.

what make/model case is it?

Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower Steel Gaming Case with Red LED (Black)

SPEC-01 Red LED

Corsair Carbide Series CC-9011050-WW Mid-Tower Steel Gaming Case with Red LED (Black) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00I6BJATW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_gl_i_2V4V4ZTE65VMXPK7J0DR

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you don't care about one that is there now, I would get 2 x 140 as they push more air at a slower rate

Can you remove the bottom drive bay? as it might restrict air flow but thats more for the GPU.

If its cooling GPU it means less hot air coming from it into CPU, so yes... it could help CPU.

Solution

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

I could..but I'm planning to get a sata ssd and I don't know where to put that drive without the bay. I have the CD drive at the top front that I rarely use.

Ok then 140mm it is and good thing too cause corsair 140mm ML fans look promising

Colif

Win 11 Master
You have 3 5.25inch bays and only 1 cd drive... could put ssd in one of those and remove drive bays or at least the obstruction.

newer cases removed the drive bays and you can point fan right at CPU.
top fan spots better for exhausts but you don't want more exhausts

I assume GPU isn't a blower style card but instead exhausts into case right onto the CPU cooler... like most do.
2nd fan might help blow heat out back instead of up

I have 2 ML120 on front of my case...

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
You have 3 5.25inch bays and only 1 cd drive... could put ssd in one of those and remove drive bays or at least the obstruction.

newer cases removed the drive bays and you can point fan right at CPU.
top fan spots better for exhausts but you don't want more exhausts

I assume GPU isn't a blower style card but instead exhausts into case right onto the CPU cooler... like most do.
2nd fan might help blow heat out back instead of up

I have 2 ML120 on front of my case...

Hmm...the hard drive that I have is at the top bay...even if I put it below the CD drive, I still can't figure out where to put the sata ssd...

I guess I could take out the extra trays to remove blocking the air. I will see how it goes in time.

Ordered Corsair ML140mm are these good?

Corsair ML140 140 mm Premium Magnetic Levitation RGB LED Fan - Black (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076VLCCPY/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_gl_i_4TNN67F38484YDP7ZEKA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Colif

Win 11 Master
I use them on my AIO, it keeps it cool enough. They came with it after all. The temp range on my radiator is about 5c all year. So thats not bad. Haven't had a hot summer the last 2 though. I have been waiting.

What ambient temps Do you get?
I assume the rear fan is exhaust. I see you being talked at by Darkbreeze.

that GPU hardly going to cause much heat
ugLEhJK.jpg

bottom fan air should blow past the GPU easy.

Wonder why no one is asking about the CPU cooler itself. Do you have the stock cooler installed? In that case, replacing the CPU cooler will do more for you than adding more fans. I'd do both, but replacing the CPU cooler (not just the fan) will probably net you a bigger change.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Last edited:

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Wonder why no one is asking about the CPU cooler itself. Do you have the stock cooler installed? In that case, replacing the CPU cooler will do more for you than adding more fans. I'd do both, but replacing the CPU cooler (not just the fan) will probably net you a bigger change.

Yeah it could...but the thing is that next year I'm planning to upgrade my PC so I'm just better off waiting till a year and change the motherboard, CPU and probably the GPU and use this mid tower case itself as it meets all of my needs.

The CPUs that I'm looking for range from i5-12600k to i9-12900k all of which don't come with stock cooler anyways. Its really hard to get a cooler that supports this motherboard as well as the one for a Z690 board.

Besides this CPU i7-7700 should handle upto 100 degrees. So not really a problem. Though I must admit, it did leave me a bit scared.

What ambient temps Do you get?
I assume the rear fan is exhaust. I see you being talked at by Darkbreeze.

Idle temps I get are within the 40-50 degree range. when doing video editing, it increases from 80-100 degrees though I rarely ever see it raise to 100 except when exporting 3D heavy based games which I rarely ever do if ever as I export games that are simpler.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you weren't updating, you could replace front intake with a 240mm AIO and it would cool CPU and system at same time. Alas I don't think a 240 would be enough for new CPU... I don't know.

then he looks at case and realises that wouldn't work with drive bays where they are

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
To me, Air coolers are my preference. I'm not a fan of AIO because of the potential that the liquid could get loose and screw things over. Or that I haven't tried out AIO and from the looks of it, its too complicated for me.

I think eventually I might want to get to AIO just to see it in action but right now, I just prefer fans.

Yeah it could...but the thing is that next year I'm planning to upgrade my PC so I'm just better off waiting till a year and change the motherboard, CPU and probably the GPU and use this mid tower case itself as it meets all of my needs.

The CPUs that I'm looking for range from i5-12600k to i9-12900k all of which don't come with stock cooler anyways. Its really hard to get a cooler that supports this motherboard as well as the one for a Z690 board.

Besides this CPU i7-7700 should handle upto 100 degrees. So not really a problem. Though I must admit, it did leave me a bit scared.

Idle temps I get are within the 40-50 degree range. when doing video editing, it increases from 80-100 degrees though I rarely ever see it raise to 100 except when exporting 3D heavy based games which I rarely ever do if ever as I export games that are simpler.
https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

None of them that are on the list are available from my area that has support for LGA 1700 and LGA 1151. Thank you for your help as I appreciate it.

Some of the Noctua coolers are more than their MSRP even so I'm better off asking my cousin from U.S to get me the cooler as well as getting the new motherboard with the CPU and GPU. Hence my point.