Do i need to apply Thermal Paste????

akhilpadinjarayil

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
I have a 6year old lappie... Do I need to reapply thermal paste.. I cleaned lap and fan but there is some heating I can see... I have the pics of thermal paste on CPU currently... But I cannot see option to upload here...

Solution
You need to apply new paste. I see it's cpu and gpu chip. Clean both chips, clean heatsink, use line method, - add paste the longer edge of center of chips. Don't spread it with credit card, just let the heatsink do the job. I like arctic mx-4 paste, before i use arctic silver, but have bad results with it.

akhilpadinjarayil

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
I just overhauled the parts and now I can see the old heat solvent spreader over CPU... I wish I could post photos here so that u can easily understand the scenario... Now I am getting 60+ temp on normal working after cleaning the fan.... The problem is I don't have the heat paste and I am afraid about the cost and quality of new paste.. Should I leave it as before??? I really want to know how bad is my situation... But I can't post photos here..

akhilpadinjarayil

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
25p7sbm.jpg
xbernq.png
I have dell vostro 2520 2gb ram model....I'm just a guy... I can do with the help of YouTube... Technicians says that i dont need to reapply paste, some laps heats much...But the thing is really I need to apply new paste... I have pics with me so u can easily understand.. I can't evaluate the situation...

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
You need to apply new paste. I see it's cpu and gpu chip. Clean both chips, clean heatsink, use line method, - add paste the longer edge of center of chips. Don't spread it with credit card, just let the heatsink do the job. I like arctic mx-4 paste, before i use arctic silver, but have bad results with it.

Solution