[SOLVED] Do i need to back up my pc for motherboard/cpu swap

Jun 30, 2019
Okay so im finally upgrading my motherboard and cpu, also buying windows 10. I want to start fresh but my question is do i need to backup anything?

Solution
So first the OS then the hardware? Also ive tried upgrading but thats a whole other problem of error codes so i figured id just buy the disk and install after i put the new hardware in
Well, if you're going to buy a whole new license for Win 10, no problem.
No need to Upgrade anything.
Just install clean Win 10 on the new hardware.

I only mentioned the above as a way to possibly upgrade your current Win 7 license to Win 10 for free.

dajuukes

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
It is never a bad idea to backup your data, especially before any upgrades. However, it should be fine just to replace the components you mentioned and keep the data (assuming it is on a separate drive than the one you intend to boot from). Personally, I would backup the data, do a clean install of Windows, and then restore the files you want to keep.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay so im finally upgrading my motherboard and cpu, also buying windows 10. I want to start fresh but my question is do i need to backup anything?
What data do you have that you can't bear to lose?
That is what you want to "back up"

Also, read this

Jun 30, 2019
What data do you have that you can't bear to lose?
That is what you want to "back up"

Also, read this
Basically if i install the new motherboard and cpu can i just pop in a disk of windows 10 and be good? I dont have anything i want to keep from the old system but im worried if there is stuff im supposed to keep?

dajuukes

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
Basically if i install the new motherboard and cpu can i just pop in a disk of windows 10 and be good? I dont have anything i want to keep from the old system but im worried if there is stuff im supposed to keep?
If you don't want to keep any data, you can just format (erase) your current drive and put in the new Windows installation. This will install windows from scratch.

Reactions: Ninjaofcoolnes

USAFRet

Titan
'stuff you need to keep' would be your personal docs.
Music/video/photo...things like that.
If none of that, wipe the drive fully and proceed on.

But also, this, assuming Windows 10:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

Jun 30, 2019
'stuff you need to keep' would be your personal docs.
Music/video/photo...things like that.
If none of that, wipe the drive fully and proceed on.

But also, this, assuming Windows 10:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/
I currently have windows 7. Im planning on installing hardware and then installing windows 10 from a disk

Jun 30, 2019
Given a current WIn 7, you could Upgrade to Win 10 for free.
But you probably can't Upgrade the OS and move to new hardware in one movement.
Upgrade the OS, then the new hardware.
So first the OS then the hardware? Also ive tried upgrading but thats a whole other problem of error codes so i figured id just buy the disk and install after i put the new hardware in

USAFRet

Titan
Well, if you're going to buy a whole new license for Win 10, no problem.
No need to Upgrade anything.
Just install clean Win 10 on the new hardware.

I only mentioned the above as a way to possibly upgrade your current Win 7 license to Win 10 for free.

Reactions: Ninjaofcoolnes
Solution