[SOLVED] Do I Need to Buy a Special Router?

Rayroshi

Honorable
Mar 21, 2015
Our router at home is pretty old and probably is going bad, because every evening, now, we keep having the internet drop several times. We are not gamers or anything like that, just two old people who surf the net and watch streaming TV via Roku.

A couple of weeks ago, our internet provider (Ziply) sent a technician out and he told us that we probably need a new router. He further said that the one which Ziply would like for us to rent works better than any he knew of which we can find at a store. I am very doubtful about that, and told him I would think it over. After checking , I have found a very wide range of routers for a very wide range of prices, so I'm now in question as to what I should do.

Is it true that I need to rent Ziply's router or will one which I buy do just as well? And if the latter, could someone please recommend a good one that sells for a reasonable price?

The Ziply cost for renting their router is $10/month, so in one year we would be spending $120, so it seems that I could buy a router for that much and then have one which I would no longer be needing to rent. Living on a pension restricts how much one can spend.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
Do you have Ziply Fiber or DSL?

For fiber, it appears Ziply is using the Arris NVG468MQ for the router and an Arris MEB1100 for MOCA. https://ziplyfiber.com/helpcenter/c...stallation-setup/set-up-ziply-fiber-equipment

For DSL, they don't really specify what they use. But you would likely need a ADSL+ modem and a separate router.

For older people, I do sometimes recommend using the ISP provided router. They can sometimes reset it from their main office. They'll also send out technicians to support it as well. If they have a local office, it's often convenient to walk in and trade it out if you suspect it's become problematic. If you don't have any friends or family to help you out with your technology...
Our router at home is pretty old and probably is going bad, because every evening, now, we keep having the internet drop several times. We are not gamers or anything like that, just two old people who surf the net and watch streaming TV via Roku.

A couple of weeks ago, our internet provider (Ziply) sent a technician out and he told us that we probably need a new router. He further said that the one which Ziply would like for us to rent works better than any he knew of which we can find at a store. I am very doubtful about that, and told him I would think it over. After checking , I have found a very wide range of routers for a very wide range of prices, so I'm now in question as to what I should do.

Is it true that I need to rent Ziply's router or will one which I buy do just as well? And if the latter, could someone please recommend a good one that sells for a reasonable price?

The Ziply cost for renting their router is $10/month, so in one year we would be spending $120, so it seems that I could buy a router for that much and then have one which I would no longer be needing to rent. Living on a pension restricts how much one can spend.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Ask ziply if you can buy their router.
If you install a router they don't support your on your own.

Do you have Ziply Fiber or DSL?

For fiber, it appears Ziply is using the Arris NVG468MQ for the router and an Arris MEB1100 for MOCA. https://ziplyfiber.com/helpcenter/c...stallation-setup/set-up-ziply-fiber-equipment

For DSL, they don't really specify what they use. But you would likely need a ADSL+ modem and a separate router.

For older people, I do sometimes recommend using the ISP provided router. They can sometimes reset it from their main office. They'll also send out technicians to support it as well. If they have a local office, it's often convenient to walk in and trade it out if you suspect it's become problematic. If you don't have any friends or family to help you out with your technology, it's often better this way.

Solution