[SOLVED] Do I need to change a motherboard ?

foghus

Honorable
BANNED
Oct 28, 2018
Hello everyone ,
So I thought about buying an RTX 2080 and my motherboard is supporting max PCI -E 3.0 x8 .
The graphics card ports are PCI -E x16 .
Do I need to buy a new motherboard ?
If the answer is yes , can you please recommend about a good one ?
(BTW the model of the graphics card I want is : GeForce RTX™ 2080 WINDFORCE 8G)

thanks allot I appreciate any answer.

Solution
my cpu is i8 8700k and I don't remember what is my motherboard name but I do remember that it is support max 8pins graphics card
(If it is important for the discussion I will find the name ) .

I think you are misreading something. I think your motherboard will run at 16x with PCIe 3.0. I dont know a board that supports a 8700k that does not run the GPU at x16 without having multiple NVMe drives installed. Your system is fine.

foghus

Honorable
BANNED
Oct 28, 2018
It will work fine.

What motherboard and CPU do you have? If you have an old platform, you will be wasting money on a highend GPU like the 2080.
my cpu is i8 8700k and I don't remember what is my motherboard name but I do remember that it is support max 8pins graphics card

I think you are misreading something. I think your motherboard will run at 16x with PCIe 3.0. I dont know a board that supports a 8700k that does not run the GPU at x16 without having multiple NVMe drives installed. Your system is fine.

Solution