Question Do I need to change mobo if I update CPU?

May 27, 2022
I have an Asrock Fatall1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac with an i7 8700. When I come to upgrading to a newer (intel) CPU, would I also have to change the mobo?

the best cpu you can get without upgrading your motherboard is i9 9900K (but first you would need to update your bios to the latest version)
is it worth it ? the answer is no , not really , it is very expensive cpu (currently 490 dollars on amazon) and it is already outdated
(also your motherboard doesn´t really have the best VRM for such power hungry processor) .

what is the rest of your system and what do you expect from upgrading your cpu - do you use your pc mainly for gaming or work ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mateo_man
May 27, 2022
Thanks for the reply.
I have a 3060 ti with a corsair 850w plus gold and 2 500gb ssds and a 500gb nvme with 32gb of ram alongside the i7 8700. I use the cooler from a HP omen on my cpu.
I've already updated the bios .
I use it for both gaming and work. My chassis is a fractal node 304.
It's already quite a good system but the cpu came out 5 years ago. Would you happen to know the typical milage for it? is 6 years pushing towards failure? I use it for about 12 hours a day.

CPU is the least defective part of the entire system .
most CPU-s will last to the point when they will become obsolete , i still have my 20 years old duron 800 running (nostalgia - i turn that pc on every now and then) .
the only way you can damage your chip is by giving it too much voltage while overcloking or if your psu fails and takes the rest of the system with it
otherwise you are good to use it for another 5 years (yours doesn´t even have unlocked multiplier so no meaningful OC possible anyway) .

Reactions: Mateo_man