Do I need to change more than the Vcore?

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Is it a bad idea only to change the vcore when overclocking? I have my i5 4690k @ 4.3 with vcore set to 1.116. I read about changing the vrin and and vring too but as I am a bit worried about messing around too much.

Right now prime95 tests hit temps of 80-82 with hyper evo 212 cooler running small ffts test

Solution
Unless you are an extreme overclocker, I think it is best to work first with the max multiplier alone and let all else default.
Just keep raising the multiplier until you are no longer stable.
OCCT is a good tester. It will tell you the vcore and other readings. It shuts down the test at 85c.
If you go no higher than 1.25 vcore, you should be good. 1.30 max.
Over that is not good for 24/7 operation.

davmazin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
well the thing is several things change when you overclock, you should check how it works on your mobo cuz you might be thinking that its only the vcore than changes but the mobo could be auto changing other things so you should be careful since those could be going up way too much (higher values than desired)

davmazin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
try to check on some profiles on some overclocking sites to check em that is what i did when i overclocked my old Q6600 i haven't done it with my 2600k cuz i was trying to find an overclocking guide but i had to flash my bios and i couldn't do it so the bios is very different from mine for the overclocking lol

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

read in a guide to try starting the VRIN at 1.8v and take it off auto because it will go higher. I don't know what to do with cpu ring voltage so, should that be ok to leave on auto?

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Well, before I had a stable overclock but my profiles got screwed up somehow and I had to reset to default. So I am retrying it, with a bit more research then before. I change my cpu multi from 43 to 42 because I had an error last time I reset from BIOS. Was something like could not load library...didn't quite catch it

Actually my vcore is 1.102 but in classic mode it says 1.116 can anyone tell me why? How do my voltage settings look?

a4lpfn.jpg

2hp7yma.jpg

I have not run prime95 or any stress testing program for very long for this overclock, I will tonight. But do things seem safe? Idle temps in HWmonitor are 30-35

Unless you are an extreme overclocker, I think it is best to work first with the max multiplier alone and let all else default.
Just keep raising the multiplier until you are no longer stable.
OCCT is a good tester. It will tell you the vcore and other readings. It shuts down the test at 85c.
If you go no higher than 1.25 vcore, you should be good. 1.30 max.
Over that is not good for 24/7 operation.

Solution

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

other than the vrin (which I set to 1.8v) all I did was change vcore, which is set 1.102 but seems to show 1.116 in classic mode. Multiplier is up to 42.
I ran prime95 blend test for about 12 hours and max temp was 84 or 85. Now my idle temps are around 28-30.

Here are specs from occt when idle:
54wvmw.png

here are specs from occt after 2 min (thought might give a better idea of voltage specs)

mwfinn.png

not sure why it shows vin1 at 2.04, if i set VRIN to 1.8v in BIOS (is it the same? I thought I read somewhere that it is the same).

Anyways, does this stuff seem ok to you? Seems to be stable, my idle temps are low, and when gaming I get to 55-60c which seems fine. The only thing I really did that I am unsure with was set to VRIN to 1.8v but I read in a guide that it was a good starting point and that having it on auto could make it go higher than necessary (but if VIN1 in occt is the same thing, it seems to be going higher anyways...).

Thank you!!