Question Do I need to clear anything after a RAM upgrade ?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
This might seem like a silly question, but when you swap out RAM sticks for new ones, do you need to "flush" or "clear" anything out on Windows 11 eg to remove any traces/remnants of the old RAM settings ?

I know the sticks themselves are pretty much plug-and-play, but was just wanting to ensure the new sticks have a fresh start and don't need to be prepped in any way.

Endre

Honorable
This might seem like a silly question, but when you swap out RAM sticks for new ones, do you need to "flush" or "clear" anything out on Windows 11 (to remove any traces/remnants of the old RAM stick settings)?

I know the sticks themselves are pretty much plug-and-play, but was just wanting to ensure the new sticks have a fresh start and don't need to be prepped in any way.
RAM kits are volatile storage.
That means that everytime you turn off the power, the memory kits lose all of the stored informations.

So, the answer is: No.
You don't need to do anything else.

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer
This might seem like a silly question, but when you swap out RAM sticks for new ones, do you need to "flush" or "clear" anything out on Windows 11 (to remove any traces/remnants of the old RAM stick settings)?

Not in OS, once shut down nothing remains on it, You should reset CMOS/BIOS so it can find new RAM during post. Then you need to set XMP /EXPO to what that RAM supports.

Reactions: Endre