Do I need to disable RAID?

oliverj16

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
First post here :)

So I have Acer M5811 desktop. Just cloned HDD to new SanDisk Ultra II SSD, unplugged HDD and booted Windows from SSD. Faster now, great :D

When using cloning software I omitted Music&Photos from clone, because I wish to use the old HDD for Data. So I plugged old HDD back in and went to BIOS to edit hard drive boot order (because I don't want to boot from old HDD which still has Windows on it). Both HDD&SSD have 'RAID:' in front, something like 'RAID:SanDisk480SSDSD'. I do not have any wish to use RAID, simply want SSD&HDD as two separate drives.

I read on forums here that some Intel boards set sata ports to RAID by default BUT if I don't have an actual RAID array configured it will default to AHCI. Which is what I want I guess?
So do I have a RAID array configured simply by having 2 drives connected?

My question really is that, based on the above, am I safe just to plug both drives in and ignore RAID settings in BIOS all together? As I definitely don't want it to mirror the drives or lose any data.

Advice/solutions would be much appreciated!! :D I'm slightly worried by this!!

Solution
RAID is the wrong setting and if AHCI wasnt enabled when you installed windows, you need to reinstall.
There are tricks you can do to the registry but really the best unfortunately is to reinstall windows.