Do I need to download all mother board drivers?

skearns2222

Commendable
May 12, 2016
I just finished my first build. When I went to update the motherboard drivers I noticed under each section such as (chipset,lan, bios,etc..) there are multiple driver downloads.

My question is do I need to download each of the drivers under each section or just the newest one?

Solution
When Building your machine you should proceed as follows:

1. Install OS
2. Install all drivers / desired utilities that come on provided media in the box.
3. Run Windows Update... over and over and over again, till it says "no more"
4. Visit all component manufacturer's web sites; download applicable drivers and desired utilities, (latest version)
5. Install updated items.

So you are asking why take step 2 ?

1. You can't get to step 3 w/o installing the LAN driver.
2. You want to establish a working condition with all components 'out of the box' for warranty purposes.
3. The component media will sometimes come with special items (i.e. DvD player software) and utilities which have built in license numbers / activation codes...
When Building your machine you should proceed as follows:

1. Install OS
2. Install all drivers / desired utilities that come on provided media in the box.
3. Run Windows Update... over and over and over again, till it says "no more"
4. Visit all component manufacturer's web sites; download applicable drivers and desired utilities, (latest version)
5. Install updated items.

So you are asking why take step 2 ?

1. You can't get to step 3 w/o installing the LAN driver.
2. You want to establish a working condition with all components 'out of the box' for warranty purposes.
3. The component media will sometimes come with special items (i.e. DvD player software) and utilities which have built in license numbers / activation codes. These are not present on the downloaded versions.

Also, it is oft said not to bother with installing newer drivers / BIOS as 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Be aware that you will likely be denied tech support if you say "no" to the "Do you have latest BIOS / drivers installed". It happens to me every time w/ Asus ... bit less with other vendors. The first priority of every tech support staff member is to get you off the phone. The 1st response to an issue is generally to blame another component manufacturer and tell you to call them for a solution. The next response is to tell you to go install / reinstall something in the hopes that you won't call back. :)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS