[SOLVED] Do I need to download any drivers or reinstall windows for this upgrade?

apollosoccer99

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
I am upgrading my CPU and my motherboard. Do I need to reinstall windows or will it be good already on my hard drive?

UPDATE: Everything works fine. I didn't even need to boot windows from the USB

Last edited:
Solution
when swapping motherboards if not exactly the same a minimum of windows repair install is needed and a clean full install is recommended. As well the two platforms use different drivers so all motherboard drivers need to be installed for the new board.
when swapping motherboards if not exactly the same a minimum of windows repair install is needed and a clean full install is recommended. As well the two platforms use different drivers so all motherboard drivers need to be installed for the new board.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

apollosoccer99

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
After the the swap, run the Intel Driver & Support Assistant to identify and install all Intel drivers that will need updating.

rolli59 is spot on. For best results, a clean install of Windows is recommended. Your system may/may not boot with the new config, thus the repair option may get you there.
After the swap would windows still start like before? Also how would I repair install windows?

TRENDING THREADS