Do I need to enter my product key again after factory reset?

jakeisham

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
I am looking to sell my computer but my windows 10 education key only lasts 30 days so if I sell it and reset it after 30 days will I need to enter a product key?

Solution

First of all, somebody lied to you, that is not true. And secondly, this is not legal and you can't do it.

jakeisham

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016
first of all I'm asking for answers not more questions and its a windows educational key that's lasts 30 days and its a computer I'm going to sell on Craigslist and I ask if they will need to enter a key if I sell it factory reset

To the OP, Who told you that your copy of Windows 10 has to be registered every 30 days? Also, once you sell the computer how will the new owner legally register the computer every 30 days? Will he come to your house to do it? How will he access your ID?

First of all, somebody lied to you, that is not true. And secondly, this is not legal and you can't do it.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
1. An Educational license does not have a 30 day limit.
2. Per licensing agreement, you can't 'sell' an Edu license.
3. A reset should not require entering the license key.

If you think I am incorrect on #1, please let us know where you heard this. Preferably actual documentation.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

One more thing, you get more bees with honey than vinegar, continue to be rude to those trying to help you and you will be asking questions elsewhere.

jakeisham

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

USAFRet

Titan

Yes you can. A Retail license can be sold however you wish. An OEM license can be sold, with the hardware it lives on.

An education license, OTOH, can't be transferred to a person that can't obtain an edu license on their own.
For instance, you can't sell that to me.

And for whatever license you sell, you must also give the new owner the actual license key, and you personally cannot continue to use it.

jakeisham

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016