Do I need to format my old ssd(c drive) to be able to use it on my new build?

DaNTe07

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Hello guys,

I just got my new build after 7 huge years... 1080ti + i7700k build and xtrmely happy and can't wait to test this beast, but one of my friend said that i need to re-format and reinstall win 10 on my c drive(ssd) because it won't run as its from my old pc(mobo bios issues etc).

Is this true? As i have very imp docs on it I haven't even tried using it due to fear of it might stop working and get corrupt(i know that rarely happens but i am paranoid lol).

Solution
Yes. You should do a clean install of Windows on the SSD. To make it simple, you don't want drivers fighting each other. Do a clean install of Windows, if you need to move anything over, you could install your HDD (I assume you have one) and put Windows on that temp to move some files over, then clean install on your SSD and move them back. Good luck and enjoy the beast!

Pokererere1

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
Yes. You should do a clean install of Windows on the SSD. To make it simple, you don't want drivers fighting each other. Do a clean install of Windows, if you need to move anything over, you could install your HDD (I assume you have one) and put Windows on that temp to move some files over, then clean install on your SSD and move them back. Good luck and enjoy the beast!

Solution

DaNTe07

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Can't quote on mobile so i hope u read it heh..

Thanks a lot for ur answer yes i do have 2 hdds also btw,
I can use my ssd as normal drive right on someone elses pc?

I am thinking of plugging my ssd and my hdd to my friend's pc and then moving the files.. as my hdd and all that(new cpu) are at his place or else i have to drive back to my home and do it and go back again.

Pokererere1

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Yes! You can just plug your SSD into a friend's PC, and he boots his OS you should be able to! Good luck and enjoy!

Pokererere1

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

No problem man! Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions. If you're looking for a community for gaming, I would recommend my discord link in my signature! We would love to have some new faces!