[SOLVED] Do I need to format my SSD before reinstalling Windows 10

Burak0098

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
I bought a new SSD for my laptop. The laptop was preloaded with Windows 10 on the old hard drive. My friend installed Windows 2004 on that SSD. So, my PC is running on 2004 version of Windows 10 now but I think there is a compatibility issue with my device because ever since I updated to 2004, lots of problems started. Never had those in 1909 version - which is the version that I'm planning on installing.

I'll have to use a usb flash to install the OS. But as I said, my SSD is currently loaded with Windows 10 and my personal files. I'm planning on backing up my personal files and "erasing" or "formating" the SSD but do I need to do it? Can I re-install Windows 10 while it is already loaded with Windows 10? Is the installation process erase all of it anyway?

Thank you.

Solution
I bought a new SSD for my laptop. The laptop was preloaded with Windows 10 on the old hard drive. My friend installed Windows 2004 on that SSD. So, my PC is running on 2004 version of Windows 10 now but I think there is a compatibility issue with my device because ever since I updated to 2004, lots of problems started. Never had those in 1909 version - which is the version that I'm planning on installing.

I'll have to use a usb flash to install the OS. But as I said, my SSD is currently loaded with Windows 10 and my personal files. I'm planning on backing up my personal files and "erasing" or "formating" the SSD but do I need to do it? Can I re-install Windows 10 while it is already loaded with Windows 10? Is the installation...

USAFRet

Titan

I'll have to use a usb flash to install the OS. But as I said, my SSD is currently loaded with Windows 10 and my personal files. I'm planning on backing up my personal files and "erasing" or "formating" the SSD but do I need to do it? Can I re-install Windows 10 while it is already loaded with Windows 10? Is the installation process erase all of it anyway?

Thank you.
You don't need to format.
During the fresh install process, you delete all existing partitions on it, and continue.

Section II, Step 6 & 7 outline that part.

Solution