Do I need to Format?

Edgerunner

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
Was given an Intel 520 240gb SSD and I am trying to put it in my system.

Do I need to Format it 1st before cloning it?
Should I use Macrium Reflect (the free version) or should I use Intel's Data Migration software?

Solution
so yes. format the ssd first since you don't want whatever is on it. the clone the small hdd to it.

as for what program, that's up to you. i never clone drives so have no experience with the software. i prefer fresh installs and am too stubborn to learn a new way :)

Edgerunner

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

I just upgraded my system but in the process my original Hard Drive went bad. Went out and got an 80gb HD, because I knew I would be receiving the SSD, and put a fresh install of windows on along with the basic malware and security programs.

Now that the SSD is here I want to put everything on the SSD but keep the HD for storage purposes.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so yes. format the ssd first since you don't want whatever is on it. the clone the small hdd to it.

as for what program, that's up to you. i never clone drives so have no experience with the software. i prefer fresh installs and am too stubborn to learn a new way :)

Solution

Edgerunner

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

Just a status report.

Formatted SSD.
Used Intel Data Migration software.
Took about 30 minutes and Done. Couldn't have been easier.

..... now what do I do with the HD I just cloned LOL?
Can I just reconnect it and then Wipe it with CCleaner or will having the old OS on it create an issue?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can wipe it and use it as a back-up drive. has some room for a good bit of data. or you can keep cbacking up oyur windows install to it as a nice back up in case you need a fresh install.

should be able to just back up windows and not the rest if you wish.