Do I need to give the optical drive/laptop a rest during a large DVD ripping project?

Big Swifty

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
We're planning for an international move where it's not practical to bring all of our movies and other DVD's, so I'm digitizing the DVD library using my wife's laptop with MakeMKV and Handbrake.

I'm ripping on the laptop while working on my desktop (w/o optical drive), which makes it easy and not really a time wasting project. I'd like to get this done ASAP and tend to work on the PC in blocks of a few hours up to several times a day.

I don't want to damage the optical drive or laptop from overuse. It's taking about 10-15 minutes per DVD to rip and after a few hours I'm not detecting any heat issues, but the drive (and fan?) are doing their things and making noise for the first 75-80% of the process.

Should I be letting the laptop take a breather at certain points? How long? Limit on the # I should rip in a day or a work session?

We're planning for an international move where it's not practical to bring all of our movies and other DVD's, so I'm digitizing the DVD library using my wife's laptop with MakeMKV and Handbrake.

I'm ripping on the laptop while working on my desktop (w/o optical drive), which makes it easy and not really a time wasting project. I'd like to get this done ASAP and tend to work on the PC in blocks of a few hours up to several times a day.

I don't want to damage the optical drive or laptop from overuse. It's taking about 10-15 minutes per DVD to rip and after a few hours I'm not detecting any heat issues, but the drive (and fan?) are doing their things and making noise for the first 75-80% of the process.

Should I be letting the laptop take a breather at certain points? How long? Limit on the # I should rip in a day or a work session?
I'd assume no, but if it were to get hot then it should be able to cool down in a minute or so.