Question Do I need to grounded my PC?

Oct 27, 2019
6
0
10
0
Hi,

So I've just finished my first build and when I touched the case even when turned off I get some light electric shock. Through research, I find out that our home and socket doesn't have proper grounding (the same as 99,9% household in this country) and I really want to know is there any damage I can do to the hardware by not grounding my PSU and case? Someone told me that I just need to wear extra thick slippers to prevent shocking and that's it.
 
Hi,

So I've just finished my first build and when I touched the case even when turned off I get some light electric shock. Through research, I find out that our home and socket doesn't have proper grounding (the same as 99,9% household in this country) and I really want to know is there any damage I can do to the hardware by not grounding my PSU and case? Someone told me that I just need to wear extra thick slippers to prevent shocking and that's it.
Yes, definitely, find some way to ground it, A separate wire connected to a water pipe should do. If you are in a house, you could hammer a metal pipe or a rod about meter long into ground and connect a wire to it.
 
Oct 27, 2019
6
0
10
0
Yes, definitely, find some way to ground it, A separate wire connected to a water pipe should do. If you are in a house, you could hammer a metal pipe or a rod about a meter long into the ground and connect a wire to it.
But right now I live on the 3rd floor, cant I just hammer a nail into the wall and wired it to a screw that connected my PSU/Case? To be honest I don't know anything about this whole grounding business. And my main concern is that can this light shocking cause any real problems to my hardware or is it just gonna be annoying for me?
 
But right now I live on the 3rd floor, cant I just hammer a nail into the wall and wired it to a screw that connected my PSU/Case? To be honest I don't know anything about this whole grounding business. And my main concern is that can this light shocking cause any real problems to my hardware or is it just gonna be annoying for me?
Nail in the wall wouldn't do it and yes, beside it being a health/life hazard it can damage components too.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Systems 7
C Systems 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS