Do I need to have components installed into motherboard in order to update BIOS?

Sep 6, 2018
Hi all,

I have a MSI Z370 A Pro Motherboard.

I am unsure if I need to update my BIOS though I did see message saying it will need one for 9th Generation i7 9700k.

So question is do I need to have CPU, GPU, Ram and so on installed on the motherboard in order to boot into BIOS and update it?

Any advice as well will be great cheers.

Link to MSI update for motherboard in question https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-A-PRO

Sep 6, 2018

You saying that if CPU isn't supported then I can't update the BIOS at all without one that is supported?

Sep 6, 2018

What is risk of putting it in and booting without knowing if it got supported bios update for it?

I bought the motherboard this year and apparently the update needed for 9th Generation came out in July. Will it been updated you think?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
No way of knowing. You could always get a 8700k save some money and have basically the exact same performance.

It's not about how long it's been out it's about how long the particular motherboard they pick up off the shelf was sitting there. Some people have managed to get the 9700k to boot without the correct bios but it's a diceroll either way.

It won't harm anything just a pain in the butt if it doesn't boot.

Sep 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to answering my questions :) I mark this as solved.

I bought CPU for £350 which I thought was best deal I get for it. Cheers and have Happy Chinese New Year