Question Do i need to install driver for my laptop after clean instal ?

Devagg

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
Just clean install my new laptop to windows 10 lates build today and i check the support page for list of drivers, and i saw there is driver for audio, wireless, lan and etc there. Well, my audio, wifi and etc already work without installing those driver, so do i still need to install the driver for audio, wifi and etc even though they already work? Or those driver only for if something doesnt work, for example my wifi not work so i need wifi driver, is it correct ?

My laptop is asus tuf fx505dt R5 and this is the driver list https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505DD-DT-DU/HelpDesk_Download/

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you find, over time, that something that seemed fine isn't, then definitely download the latest driver for that device from your computer's OEM driver pages, or the actual device manufacturer's support pages, and install it.

I will say that if you have Intel devices in your system I recommend downloading and installing the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and let it run in the background. They've been churning out driver updates at what, to me, is an insanely fast pace for their devices for the Windows 10 platform for several years now. The only way I know about these in a timely manner for my WiFi/Bluetooth is via alerts from that software.

Devagg

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you find, over time, that something that seemed fine isn't, then definitely download the latest driver for that device from your computer's OEM driver pages, or the actual device manufacturer's support pages, and install it.

I will say that if you have Intel devices in your system I recommend downloading and installing the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and let it run in the background. They've been churning out driver updates at what, to me, is an insanely fast pace for their devices for the Windows 10 platform for several years now. The only way I know about these in a timely manner for my WiFi/Bluetooth is via alerts from that software.
But what if those driver offer additional feature ? Can this hurt my PC if i am installed already working driver ?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
No. And you need to stop overthinking this.

In 99% of cases, a straight clean install of Windows 10 runs flawlessly. Most operating systems do this. They are designed to interrogate the hardware that they are about to be placed on and install all of the correct drivers.

Yes, there may be a driver or two that you prefer over what installs with Windows 10 and, if so, then install those afterward. Don't put the proverbial cart before the horse.

It's great that you want to be cautious, but I can't tell you anything more accurate, and more succinct, than the above.

Devagg

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
In 99% of cases, a straight clean install of Windows 10 runs flawlessly. Most operating systems do this. They are designed to interrogate the hardware that they are about to be placed on and install all of the correct drivers.

Does this mean windows and the device can run flawlessly even without installing single driver. Correct ?

No. And you need to stop overthinking this.

I am agree. I just overthink to be honest.

D

Deleted member 14196

But what if those driver offer additional feature ? Can this hurt my PC if i am installed already working driver ?
you can hurt the windows install if you install a buggy driver. as mentioned above, a clean install should be fine. test everything and if it all works well, leave it alone.