Question Do I need to make a virtual machine?

Aug 25, 2019
I have two old programs that I recently found after they had been lost for years. They are, Star Wars Episode 1 Insider's Guide and Star Wars Behind the Magic. I really want to play them on my Windows 7 64 bit system. But they will not install. Do I need a virtual machine for this?

The Last OS they ran on was Windows XP. The problem mainly seems to be the installer, that comes with these programs. Install Shield Wizard is 32 bit. Hence, the problem. It seems like they would play fine, if there was a way to bypass the installer. Like an Alt Installer, for example.

USAFRet

Titan
Those are from 1998 and 1999. Almost certainly 16 bit applications.
Being 16 bit, they would not run on a 64bit OS.
The InstallShield being 32bit is not necessarily what the game is.

A 32bit OS (the old XP) would run 16 bit applications.
A current 64bit OS will run 32bit applications.

How much effort do you want to expend in playing this?

Aug 25, 2019
Those are from 1998 and 1999. Almost certainly 16 bit applications.
Being 16 bit, they would not run on a 64bit OS.
The InstallShield being 32bit is not necessarily what the game is.

A 32bit OS (the old XP) would run 16 bit applications.
A current 64bit OS will run 32bit applications.

How much effort do you want to expend in playing this?

If virtualization is the only way, I'm open to learning. The question is would Virtual Box or VMWare be best for running these?

Aug 25, 2019
Looks like I wasn't clear enough, XP mode does NOT work with Home Premium. If you try to run it, it will say, "Windows XP mode is not available on this edition of Windows."

Looks like I wasn't clear enough, XP mode does NOT work with Home Premium. If you try to run it, it will say, "Windows XP mode is not available on this edition of Windows."
Did you read the guide? It does not involve running Windows XP mode.

Microsoft no longer provides a download for Windows XP.

You download XP mode and extract the copy of Windows XP out of it. Then you use that copy of windows in VirtualBox, which does work on windows 7 home premium.

I have used that guide to run XP on windows 10.

Aug 25, 2019
I actually could buy the physical software for Windows XP professional with valid License key for cheap, on ebay. I think I'll do that. Isn't VMWare Player a faster VM than VirtualBox?

USAFRet

Titan
I actually could buy the physical software for Windows XP professional with valid License key for cheap, on ebay. I think I'll do that. Isn't VMWare Player a faster VM than VirtualBox?
"for cheap" and "ebay" does not mean "valid".
You do whatever you think is OK. I wouldn't.

VMWare vs VirtualBox? Having used both extensively, there is no difference. I use VB daily, all day.
And especially running an XP instance, trying to play 20 year old games.

USAFRet

Titan
Fair enough. Okay, what about "ebay" and "not cheap?" Like this, for example? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-...Product-Key-/273976183467?hash=item3fca40caab
Any licensed software from fleabay is suspect.

Rather than paying for a license key from fleabay, instead, I'd find a known good XP install CD.
Install it, leaving out the license key. That gives you 30 days use.
Verify it works, and your 20 year old games also work in the VM world.

After a month, if you're still enamored of this game...then you find a valid Win XP license and apply it to the VM OS.

I recently did this to show a member here how his old game might work in an XP install in a VirtualBox VM.
That 30 day trial ran out (checked it the other day), and I killed off that VM instance.

Aug 25, 2019
Just let me just say from experience. If you are planning to buy XP physical software. There is less risk involved if you buy from Amazon than anywhere else. Sometimes the license key is good, sometimes it isn't. The other down side is, it's pricey.

Some of the other sites, don't even have the original software. It's an IOS they burned to a disk, with a supposed license key, or a thumb drive that is reported to have files on it. Sounds very shady.

TRENDING THREADS