Do I need to overclock my CPU/GPU/RAMS?

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well, you don't "need" to overclock anything. I'm sure that your CPU and GPU keep up with any gaming demands you give them. Do you feel that you need more performance from your PC or is this just something you'd like to do for the experience/learning?

Do you want to overclock the CPU, GPU, or both?

What temps are you currently getting from your CPU and GPU?

Do you know how to navigate to the BIOS? The "frequency multiplier" and "voltage offset" is what you will use to overclock the CPU, the GPU overclocking is done in software like MSI afterburner in windows. I recommend you read some guides before you do anything.

Dz1on1s

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Well my GPU temperature hits 80 celsius while playing overwatch at max (I`ll check my cpu temps later). Ive watched overclocking cpu videos and it seems difficult. With gpu it seems easy. No Idea with ram.
Watched jaytwocents and he says that everyone should overclock because its better performance for free with no downsides.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
The downside is the risk that you fry your chip because you don't know what you are doing. (I fried my first CPU, an i5-2500k, due to a freak motherboard voltage compensation event on startup, but it was ultimately my fault for using too high a LLC setting that was completely unnecessary) Also you decrease the life of the chip (although marginally if not an extreme overclock) by running it at higher temps and voltages.

Think about it, if there were no downsides, why would it just not come clocked higher from the factory?

You can run the high clock all the time, but modern CPUs are designed to clock down at idle, running cooler and saving power. That's why when people overclock, they are actually just raising the turbo/boost clock that the CPU clocks up to under load.

Dz1on1s

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
Is there any safe overclock ? Auto overclocking or sth? I found my gigabyte program for gpu overclocking. But with cpu still thinking if it`s worth... And haven`t touched ram yet.

Or in do you think I shouldn`t do it at all?

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well, in a way, the Intel Turbo Boost is "auto-overclocking." If the CPU is under load, and there is thermal headroom, it clocks up to the max frequency.

There are some programs that will adjust the clock for you and run stress tests and restart the PC for you, but to me that sounds more dangerous than doing it yourself.

If you educate yourself first and don't do anything crazy, it's not that dangerous. I was just trying to disagree with the statement that there's no reason not to do it - you are always taking on some risk when you overclock. (also you are voiding your warranty)

I think overclocking is a good way to tinker and learn about your PC, but your rig is already so high-end, I doubt you would notice the performance increase.

Dz1on1s

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017
i overclocked and did the cinebenchmark. Got a 1054 . But I dont understand the voltages.
Voltages:
VID max(1.467V)
IA max(1.382V)
LCC/RING max(1.382V)

Temperatures:
max (75,78,74,89,89)
Should I go back to default or stay like this?