Do I need to re-buy windows 8?

jetzofly

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I'm building a new PC but my current PC already has Windows 8, will I need to re buy it or is there a way to transfer it onto my new PC?

jetzofly

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

I'm pretty sure it had windows 8 on it when I bought it

bignastyid

Titan

The you will need to buy a new copy. The Retail and OEM system builder versions that you can buy can be moved to a new system. The pre-installed OEM versions(dell, hp, lenovo, etc) cannot, they are locked to the motherboard.

eBay (or anybody else but Microsoft and it's authorized resellers) IS NOT a legitimate place to buy license keys.

USAFRet

Titan

The 'free' upgrade to Win 10 is only for current Win 7/8/8.1 owners. If you only install Win 10, you'll actually have to buy it, probably mid-October.
You can install and Run Win 10 now, but you WILL have to actually buy it later.

USAFRet

Titan

First - 1 license, 1 PC. You can't use it on two PC's.

Second - If that was an OEM instal....like Dell/HP/Alienware....that license is tied to that original motherboard

Third - Be very, very careful of where you purchase from. If it is significantly cheaper than Amazon/Newegg/TigerDirect...it is probably not legit. Most of the random 'key only' sites are like this.
Someone buys in bulk, with possibly a stolen credit card. Or buys academic/MSDN/TechNet licenses. And then provides these to a website for sale. None of which are valid for resale.
These have been known to become unauthorized.

Question: Where did the install on your current PC come from? Preinstalled, or something you bought and installed?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

As in Banned my Links without verifying the Legitimacy.

Anyway if you check Ebay you will find "Keys" For Win7 and Win 8 and the sellers are Best Buy, Tiger Direct, Newegg and even Staples from time to time. Now how are you considering this a grey area? You are buying Surplus from large chains that are Licensed. You will find the options to buy just Keys or Keys with Media both of which can be bought cheaper than walking into the stores because it is localize surplus. Any questions here?

The 2nd link was a Microsoft Verified software retailer whom if you would have taken the time to look provided all the needed verification.

To the OP your question has been answered a few times now. Xfer from old PC using Same media means removing the key from the old PC and transferring it to the new. If you want 2 copies and have the media then follow my suggestion and save yourself $40+ dollars.

Is this MS verified or MS "verified"? I've seen many sellers that claim to be MS verified without a shred of evidence, in the same way that they claim to be secure and don't have an SSL cert.

Feel free to PM me the link.

I also find it hard to believe that Newegg et al have ebay sites... again, link? I couldn't find any from big-name sellers.

USAFRet

Titan
Anyway if you check Ebay you will find "Keys" For Win7 and Win 8 and the sellers are Best Buy, Tiger Direct, Newegg and even Staples from time to time.
I did just check ebay.
"windows 7" and any combination of the above stores = "0 Results"

Since the release of Windows 8, Microsoft no longer allows valid resellers to sell 'only the key' for Windows 7.

USAFRet

Titan

It may be $49, it may be $80, it may be $110. It may be free. We do not know.

And as Win 10 is still not quite done yet, I wouldn't recommend it for a primary OS on a primary PC.
It's close, but not quite there yet.