[SOLVED] Do I need to re-purchase windows?

thetartfart

Prominent
Oct 28, 2018
I had taken apart a prebuilt computer and had the parts sitting around for a while, I got a brand new hard drive in it and took the old one out, all of the other parts are the same, but now my computer doesn't have windows. Do I need to repurchase it for over $100, or just download the installation media?

Solution
I had taken apart a prebuilt computer and had the parts sitting around for a while, I got a brand new hard drive in it and took the old one out, all of the other parts are the same, but now my computer doesn't have windows. Do I need to repurchase it for over $100, or just download the installation media?
This system had Win 10 originally?
If so, no new purchase needed.

Create a WIn 10 USB.
Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Put the new drive in, and:

USAFRet

Titan
This system had Win 10 originally?
If so, no new purchase needed.

Create a WIn 10 USB.
Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Put the new drive in, and:

Solution

thetartfart

Prominent
Oct 28, 2018
Yes, It had windows ten before. But, I took the old hard drive from that computer into my new one, and used that one, hence why there is a new hard drive in this one. I reactivated windows in the new PC, so do I reactivate in the other PC too?

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, It had windows ten before. But, I took the old hard drive from that computer into my new one, and used that one, hence why there is a new hard drive in this one. I reactivated windows in the new PC, so do I reactivate in the other PC too?
You had/have ONE OS license.
You can't use that in 2 systems.

2 systems = you need to buy another license.
Or, leave it unactivated with the small restrictions an Unactivated Win 10 has.

TRENDING THREADS