Do I need to reformat?

mike789

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi guys

I am a bit confused with something, if anyone knows will be appreciated.
Recently I got a sata3 WD Hdd for my system drive but because I didn't want to reinstall everything from scratch I tried some software (WD Acronis True image) that cloned my old sata2 system drive to the new one and everything seems to work fine. After searching a bit more in the web and my BIOS settings I saw that my SATA ports where in IDE and not in AHCI which suggested that I might not get it all, performance-wise. However both my system HDD(sata3) and a second one(sata2) I have for temporary files, downloads, etc are connected in the Marvel sata3 adapter (mobo: asus p7p55d-e evo) and when I changed the bios settings configure SATA as AHCI from IDE that it was the only thing that happened was that the DVD drive behaves like a removable disk when I insert a DVD, no BSOD or anything, as some fora I read suggested, windows boots normally as if this bios command applys only for the 6 sata2 ports and not for the 2 sata3(marvell adapter) ports. Is this true? Should I leave everything as is or do a fresh install?

thanks in advance

mike789

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Thanx, form the above link and some more research I read some stuff and I have come to realize that Marvel ports are a bit shitty, its good that I didn't buy an ssd yet as I would go for a more expensive sata3 ssd and I would connect it to the marvell ports whereas it seems that most ppl disagree and suggest to use the intel ports for ssd,especially for OS. Nevertheless, since I got a sata3 hdd now and the only sata3 ports I have are the marvell, I leave it as is... After all everything seems to work fine..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds found this also was very helpful

TRENDING THREADS