[SOLVED] Do i need to reinstall my Windows 10 ?

akiraxiaoyu

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Hello guys,

I want to sell my current PC and then buying a new PC, but before sell the old PC i plan to keep my samsung 970 evo plus nvme which is the storage that i use to install windows and all software.
Question is : after i buy the new PC and connect this samsung nvme ssd to it, will all my software be there without having to reinstall it one by one? also will it move my windows 10 as well? so that i dont need to install windows.
sorry for the dumb questions.

Solution
Hmm... i see, so you recommend to do clean OS instalation instead of moving from the old one?
Is there any chance i clean install the OS but keep the software from my ssd so i dont have to reinstall all the app softwares?
Be 100% prepared for a full wipe and reinstall.
The OS, all your applications, your personal data, all your username/passwords, etc...whatever else is on that drive.

Go ahead, build the new system, and put in this drive.
It might work.
If so, no harm done.

And it also might fail.
If it does, you will be prepared.

But for all new hardware?
A clean install is recommended. If nothing else, you get rid of the last few years of built up gunk.

But be 100% prepared for it to not work in the new...

James Eckmeder

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
Yes, everything from the OS to your files are stored on your disk (in this case your 970 Evo). Just make sure that when installing it into your new PC that the BIOS settings are configured correctly to use it. Once its up and running you will need to update all your drivers for use with your new hardware.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello guys,

I want to sell my current PC and then buying a new PC, but before sell the old PC i plan to keep my samsung 970 evo plus nvme which is the storage that i use to install windows and all software.
Question is : after i buy the new PC and connect this samsung nvme ssd to it, will all my software be there without having to reinstall it one by one? also will it move my windows 10 as well? so that i dont need to install windows.
Will you need to reinstall Windows and everything else?
Probably.

A lot depends on the difference in parts.

Moving a drive+OS from one system to another, there are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months
I've seen all 3.
Win 10 is much better than previous, but by no means 100%.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, everything from the OS to your files are stored on your disk (in this case your 970 Evo). Just make sure that when installing it into your new PC that the BIOS settings are configured correctly to use it. Once its up and running you will need to update all your drivers for use with your new hardware.
A categorical "Yes" is an awfully bold statement.

You've never seen such a procedure fail? How many times have you done this?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello guys,

Also....

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

James Eckmeder

Prominent
Oct 23, 2020
So then you're saying this procedure might not work?
50 50 chance, i'm saying that you should make a backup just in case, but aslong as you reconfigure your settings for use with new hardware you should be ok, if it doesn't work then you may have to reinstall Windows. Iv'e swapped drives between PCs and all I really needed to do was reconfigure some BIOS settings and update my drivers and it worked fine.

USAFRet

Titan
50 50 chance, i'm saying that you should make a backup just in case, but aslong as you reconfigure your settings for use with new hardware you should be ok, if it doesn't work then you may have to reinstall Windows. Iv'e swapped drives between PCs and all I really needed to do was reconfigure some BIOS settings and update my drivers and it worked fine.
"should be"
"may have to"

That is a whole lot different from a simple "Yes".

Might it work?
Yes.

Might it fail?
Again, yes.

A member coming here and asking "Will it work?" is not well served by a simple "Yes".
They are asking because they do not know.

Answers to their question needs to lay out the possibilities, and a safe way forward.
A basic "Yes" does not cut it.

akiraxiaoyu

Honorable
May 7, 2018
thanks for the answer, which BIOS settings i need to keep eye on specifically? the boot order?

akiraxiaoyu

Honorable
May 7, 2018
Will you need to reinstall Windows and everything else?
Probably.

A lot depends on the difference in parts.

Moving a drive+OS from one system to another, there are 3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months
I've seen all 3.
Win 10 is much better than previous, but by no means 100%.
Hmm... i see, so you recommend to do clean OS instalation instead of moving from the old one?
Is there any chance i clean install the OS but keep the software from my ssd so i dont have to reinstall all the app softwares?

USAFRet

Titan
Be 100% prepared for a full wipe and reinstall.
The OS, all your applications, your personal data, all your username/passwords, etc...whatever else is on that drive.

Go ahead, build the new system, and put in this drive.
It might work.
If so, no harm done.

And it also might fail.
If it does, you will be prepared.

But for all new hardware?
A clean install is recommended. If nothing else, you get rid of the last few years of built up gunk.

But be 100% prepared for it to not work in the new system.

Solution

akiraxiaoyu

Honorable
May 7, 2018
And no, you can't do a new OS install AND keep the old applications.
Doesn't work like that.
Awesome! looks like it is better to just do a fresh installation instead of moving old data, where there might be junk files along with it.
Also i've read the instruction moving windows 10 license that you've mentioned, thank you for the useful link.

akiraxiaoyu

Honorable
May 7, 2018
For the OS install:

Thank you very much , all of these info are very useful, thanks :D