Do I need to reinstall system if I want to add a new hard drive to the existing setup?

yyin

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017
I currently have a 1TB HDD and found myself running out of space, I currently don't have the need for a SSD+HDD system. I simply want to add a second 1TB drive to my desktop, do I need to reinstall the whole system? What do I need to be careful of. Thanks a lot!

Solution
No you don't. Install the HDD and then you can move your folders, like pictures, documents, etc. to the new hard drive too free up space on your boot drive. You want to move the folders the correct way so the default location for those personal file folders defaults to the new hard drive, whatever letter it becomes. There is plenty of help on line on moving your user folders correctly.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
No you don't. Install the HDD and then you can move your folders, like pictures, documents, etc. to the new hard drive too free up space on your boot drive. You want to move the folders the correct way so the default location for those personal file folders defaults to the new hard drive, whatever letter it becomes. There is plenty of help on line on moving your user folders correctly.

Solution

yyin

Prominent
Sep 9, 2017

Hello! Thanks for the response. My current HDD is already partitioned, so there's no problem about moving stuff out of the boot drive. Does this mean I can simply put in a new HDD and partition the new "unallocated space" and go?