Do i need to reinstall Windows 7 after changing motherboard?

ikhidzr

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Other than motherboard, im changing my cpu and gpu at the same time. Complete overhaul, and adding a new hdd. One pc shop guy told me i have to reinstall, where else another guy from another shop told me no need. And i googled around, some said yes, some said no need as windows 7 will detect itself hardware change and do repair itself or whatever. Question, do i need to reinstall ?

Solution
You will need to re-install, and probably buy, Windows.

In my experience Windows just outright cant boot when you try to run it on different platform than what it was installed on, and a different mobo and CPU is a pretty big change.

Even if Windows did recover to the hardware change, you would have an invalid copy as an OEM key is only valid on one system (the retail version is good for up to three machines I think). Microsoft defines a system by its motherboard, your Windows key has tied itself to that motherboard and is only good to use on that mobo (again, retail version being good for up to three).
Until you punch in a valid key, you would have an invalid (and possibly illegal) copy of Windows.

bob1033

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

Most likely, you will have to do a reinstall. First, back up your data and after the rehaul, insert your old hdd and see if windows will boot. Sometimes, windows will detect the change and all you have to do is reactivate windows. Other times, windows will refuse to boot because of the hardware changes and you'll have to reinstall

You will need to re-install, and probably buy, Windows.

In my experience Windows just outright cant boot when you try to run it on different platform than what it was installed on, and a different mobo and CPU is a pretty big change.

Even if Windows did recover to the hardware change, you would have an invalid copy as an OEM key is only valid on one system (the retail version is good for up to three machines I think). Microsoft defines a system by its motherboard, your Windows key has tied itself to that motherboard and is only good to use on that mobo (again, retail version being good for up to three).
Until you punch in a valid key, you would have an invalid (and possibly illegal) copy of Windows.

Solution

Alexandre1982

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
it depend !

ive changed 3 times my processor in the last 2 months

went from m5a97 rev2 with fx4100 to fx4300 to fx6300 whitout any issue
dont ask why!

yesterday ive changed my mobo for the m5a99x rev2 and fx8320 and i changed the ram ram too.
only had to remove old mobo drivers for the mobo.

everything has been done whitout any issues on windows 7 64bits.

you will maybe got problems if you change mobo brand and or series

TheFuzz014

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
I know this is a little late for posting but in case others have this question... I just wanted to say that I just got a i7 4790k and a Msi z97 gaming 5 motherboard and I previously had an fx 8350 and Asus m5a78l-m, which are completely different motherboards and CPUs... And it booted right into Windows for me didn't have to do a thing except install motherboard drivers... So long story short is if this has happened to me, then you'll never know if you'll need to reinstall or not until you get your hands on it and see for yourself.

September_90

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014

I am just in the process of installing the Z97 5 my self waiting on a few more parts, I will be keeping my same processor, so I guess ill just have to see what happens. So I just booted from my windows disk and wiped pc and reinstalled everything so much easier that faffing around with bios and drivers and trying to keep everything the same, didn't bother backing up anything didn't really need to.