Do I need to reinstall Windows 7 if I connect my old HDD to a new rig?

redtilldead

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Hello all,

I have just assembled a new PC and have a quick question. The CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU are all new, however, I am using my old HDD from my previous system (which obviously has Windows already installed).

The issue I am facing is that when I booted the new PC, Windows would not start and would try to "repair" but to no avail and the cycle would repeat. Now I understand that my HDD has the old Gigabyte Chipset Drivers and I need to install the new Asrock Chipset Drivers to successfully boot.

Therefore, can you please guide me (step by step, if possible) if I can use my PC without having to reinstall Windows? Can I simply uninstall my Gigabyte drivers and install the Asrock ones and be fine?

Appreciate your help and support.

P.S. my previous system was a E8500 (CPU) and Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (Mobo) whereas the new one is i7 4770K (CPU) and Asrock Z87 Extreme4 (Mobo)

Solution
No you don't need to reinstall your windows. Just boot up in safe mode. Then uninstall all the drivers for you old motherboard, gpu, etc. Then reboot. Then install your new drivers for all of your new HW. It should work. If not, I don't know how it would bro.

Lastly, can you please check if you have set your HDD mode to AHCI? If it is enabled, try disabling it. In your previous rig, it might be disabled in windows that's why it won't work.

adimeister

Honorable
No you don't need to reinstall your windows. Just boot up in safe mode. Then uninstall all the drivers for you old motherboard, gpu, etc. Then reboot. Then install your new drivers for all of your new HW. It should work. If not, I don't know how it would bro.

Lastly, can you please check if you have set your HDD mode to AHCI? If it is enabled, try disabling it. In your previous rig, it might be disabled in windows that's why it won't work.

Solution

redtilldead

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013

I tried going into safe mode but it did not work. Any idea why that may happen? Will try again though.

Can you please shed some light on what you mean about AHCI? I'm new to these things. I've put the HDD back in my old rig, is there any thing I can do (except backing up of coarse)?