do i need to reinstall windows 7

Arcanekitten

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
hi guys from tomshardware i have i question want to build a new pc with some old parts of my old pc
and the parts that i am going to use are my 2x2 and 1x4 gb DDR3 ram and my harddrives 1 SSD 2HDD
but do need to reinstall windows 7 if i have build my pc ?
cuz i find it weird that you need to reinstall my windows 7 maybe for the new motherboard but why do you need to reinstall windows 7 (atleast if you need to reinstall it!)

Arcanekitten

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

i am building a complete new pc but i want to keep my hdd ssd and ram from my pc that i have right now
so bassicly i am going to put it in a pc

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
There is one way to avoid reinstalling Windows that I know of. That would be to power up the computer that you have Windows installed on, run sysprep, then shut it down. Put all the components into the new build and fire it up. You'll have a driver-less clone of your hard drive on the new PC.

Steps:

1) Do not disassemble current PC. Boot it up normally. Backup your user profile contents (pictures, movies, music, documents, favorites, downloads).

2) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\sysprep and run the sysprep application.

3) Choose "Generalize" and command the program to "Shut Down when complete."

4) After PC shuts down, remove parts that you plan to use in the new system.

5) Build the new machine, include parts from old system. Be sure to select the hard drive that has Windows on it as your boot drive.

6) Windows will go through a "Preparing your desktop for first use" setup process and you will then need to install the drivers for your new hardware.

Arcanekitten

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

do need a windows key the key that you need for installing windows in the first place cuz i dont have ANY thing of my windows ,no key ,no disk,no box where it came in with nothing