[SOLVED] Do I need to reinstall windows after change Motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutliquick1

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018
Hello,

I will change my motherboard in a few days. But, do I need to reinstall Windows again, erase all files and format all My SSD Disks? Please tell me what should I do completely after changing the motherboard

Solution
After motherboard change it's highly recommended to reinstall windows.
If you try to avoid this, then following issues can happen:
boot mode compatibility - system doesn't boot,​
drivers compatibility - BSODs, crashes, bad performance,​
windows activation issues - can not activate windows.​

Sometimes, if old motherboard is similar enough with the new motherboard (same model, same chipset board with same drivers),
then reinstall can be avoided. But you'll still have to reinstall chipset and graphics drivers (and more).

When you reinstall windows, have only single drive connected - the one, where windows goes onto.
Connect rest of the drives only after windows is installed. No need to format those other drives.

Sometimes, if old motherboard is similar enough with the new motherboard (same model, same chipset board with same drivers),
then reinstall can be avoided. But you'll still have to reinstall chipset and graphics drivers (and more).

When you reinstall windows, have only single drive connected - the one, where windows goes onto.
Connect rest of the drives only after windows is installed. No need to format those other drives.

Solution

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Yes, you will have to reinstall Windows. Also, Windows ties your Windows license key to your motherboard. So you will probably have to call Microsoft technical support and explain to them what happened, so that your license key will still work.

If you use the same license key, Microsoft will think you're trying to use the same license key on a new computer. So that's why you'll have to have a conversation with Microsoft technical support.

mutliquick1

Reputable
Feb 7, 2018

Thanks, But what will happen to other apps that installed in other drives after reinstall windows ? I mean like games in Steam Library & Photoshop etc.. it'll back again ? Or I have to install it again too

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, But what will happen to other apps that installed in other drives after reinstall windows ? I mean like games in Steam Library & Photoshop etc.. it'll back again ? Or I have to install it again too
Steam games, if installed properly before, are generally no problem.

After the fresh OS install, and the new Steam client install, you tell the new Steam client where these games are.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

Photoshop, etc...ALL other applications, will need to be reinstalled.

Yes, you will have to reinstall Windows. Also, Windows ties your Windows license key to your motherboard. So you will probably have to call Microsoft technical support and explain to them what happened, so that your license key will still work.

If you use the same license key, Microsoft will think you're trying to use the same license key on a new computer. So that's why you'll have to have a conversation with Microsoft technical support.

I don't think that will work if it's an OEM license. I just changed my motherboard, CPU, GPU, memory drives all stayed the same only a new motherboard. I had that conversation and they told me I needed to get a new installation key. He even characterized my current key as a 'pirate key'...which chafed a bit since I'd paid good money for a Pro key.

I moved the old motherboard to my son's system with new/old CPU, GPU, memory and drives then installed Windows using that same key...it worked and activated normally. Bah, so much for being a 'pirate key'. It's just linked to the motherboard so that's only to be expected for an OEM license. The plan was to buy a Win10Home for him and keep my Win10Pro, but I had to buy a new pro key for mine. Now he's got Win10Pro too though LOL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.