Question Do I need to reinstall windows on SSD for new PC?

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I'm ugrading my PC with a new build and it would be very easy to just slot my current m.2 ssd into the new PC so I wont have to setup windows again. I know i probably should reinstall drivers and such, but will there be any other issue by doing this? I guessing all other drivers that are needed will be installed automatically and/or I can use a program like driver easy to update/intall the ones missing.

I am going from AMD to intel cpu if that matters.

You have a 50/50 shot that it will work without any issues, 25% shot it will work but have lingering issues, and a 25% shot it just wont boot.

Windows 10 and 11 have been way better and allowing you to move and OS from one system to another, you still run the risk have having problems.

You will also run into an issue of activating windows, the easiest is to do the activate by phone, after you read off a very long string of numbers it will ask you how many computers are activated by this key, just say ONE. It will then read you off a new set of numbers to reactivate you license.

Never use a program to install drivers for you, more then not it will install an outdated driver or the wrong one all together. Just go to the manufactures webpage and download and install manually.