[SOLVED] Do I need to replace my Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler for gaming stream ?

rush2186

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
I'm planning to stream my game in a pc (Facebook or Twitch stream) with specs :

CPU : Ryzen 5 3600 (with stock cooler cpu)
GPU : Zotac RTX 2060 AMP
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 2x8 3200mh
PSU: be quiet ! Pure Power 11 600w

I'm planning to play and stream AAA games with it. Is the stock cooler enough for dual monitors settings ? Or do I need to replace it ? Also what are the options available under $100 for cpu cooler ? (the cheaper, the better). Thank you in advance for the advice !

Solution
Dual monitor has nothing to do with cpu cooling.

You will answer your own question after you start streaming. Look at the cpu temps listen for cpu fan noise. If either of those is unacceptable, then you'll want a new cooler and may or may not look at better case airflow.

There's a ton of aircoolers under $100. Question is what case you have and how much cpu cooler clearance you have.

Jayhawker32

Distinguished
It depends on several factors. Firstly being temperatures while gaming and streaming. I would recommend downloading HWMonitor and/or MSI Afterburner. Both of these will allow you to monitor your CPU temps and you can decide from there if you think it is reaching too high of temperatures or not.

Ryzen, at least in my case, runs hot. I've seen my 3700X hit between 70 - 80 °C while gaming and that's with a custom water loop. The stock cooler provided with these Ryzen CPUs is pretty beefy and does a decent job cooling the CPU. I personally don't think there is much reason to upgrade this unless you're looking for something of a different form factor or you are really bothered by the noise.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

You will answer your own question after you start streaming. Look at the cpu temps listen for cpu fan noise. If either of those is unacceptable, then you'll want a new cooler and may or may not look at better case airflow.

There's a ton of aircoolers under $100. Question is what case you have and how much cpu cooler clearance you have.

Solution

rush2186

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019
It depends on several factors. Firstly being temperatures while gaming and streaming. I would recommend downloading HWMonitor and/or MSI Afterburner. Both of these will allow you to monitor your CPU temps and you can decide from there if you think it is reaching too high of temperatures or not.

Ryzen, at least in my case, runs hot. I've seen my 3700X hit between 70 - 80 °C while gaming and that's with a custom water loop. The stock cooler provided with these Ryzen CPUs is pretty beefy and does a decent job cooling the CPU. I personally don't think there is much reason to upgrade this unless you're looking for something of a different form factor or you are really bothered by the noise.

Thanks for the quick reply ! Yeah I tried test streaming and I didn't see too much difference in temperature. It went around 70'c and never touched 80'c.

rush2186

Prominent
Sep 17, 2019

Thank you for the reply ! Yeah It never reached 80'c even when game streaming. The noise it produced was also acceptable for me. I was only wondering if I should replace it just in case something bad happen lol. I use https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gcw323/zalman-case-zmz9u3 and I can say it's pretty good for me so far.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019

Dont want to derail the topic, but that temps under water sound odd to me. I run a 3700x and 2080 in a small case with 2 slim 240 radiators and I manage to hold both in the 55-65 c range with a pretty conservative fan curve. Unless your custom loop is consisting of 1 120 radiator there is something off. Uneven IHS or maybe improper mounting pressure.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
One thing to consider is the difference between hitting and staying. Any cpu, even with a custom loop can hit very high temps, momentarily. That's just an instant heavy workload before the cooling can absorb and control the heat output. It does take a second for the heat to transfer from the core, through the Tim, then the IHS, then the paste and get absorbed by the cooler. So spikes in temp are normal if reading core values that are read every 256ms. Staying at that exaggerated temp is a different story.

There's also how the temp is read according to read times vs load times vs cores used. Ryzen shut down unused cores entirely, putting more workload on singular cores. So you'll read higher temps, especially if the software is set to report just the hottest temp. That 3700x could have 7 cores in the 50's and workload putting 1 core at 70's. The cpu itself isn't all that warm, just 1 core, and only at the time of reading, which cycles every 3-7 seconds or so.

Have to look at all the cores, balance what you see as workload vs what is reported and when. Big picture. This is especially true when using a variable workload like a game that only uses 2 cores like CSGO vs a consistent workload like Prime95 small fft using all cores.