[SOLVED] Do i need to type my license key if i reste the pc to factory settings

Memme_gamer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
i have a question do i need to know or type my license key if i reset the pc to factory settings because i dont have the license key

Solution
Windows is quite sturdy when it comes to activation -in fact, you won't also need to use a Microsoft account when doing a fresh install, provided that you did not change any parts or attempt to transfer the key. We'll still log in to an account anyway just in case things go wrong.

*You can see what account you are connected from Settings (press Windows logo and Settings from there), navigate to Accounts and you'll find what mail you had there is. You can use Outlook to reset the password if you don't know it or you can remove the account altogether to switch to a local account, then open another Microsoft account if you want to, however you will most likely need to know the password to the account (It won't remove your license) ...

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Please go take a look at Settings>Update&Security>Activation. You shouls see your license status there.
If it's "Windows is activated with a license key" in a point of time you had a box or an e-mail from Windows or the seller containing the key. If you can't find it use LicenseCrawler to get the key. Note it. Then run slmgr /upk to remove the key from the computer. Reinstall and enter the key as usual.

If it's "Windows is activatied with a digital license (tied to a Microsoft account)" you can reinstall without any steps. Just say "I don't have a product key" if it asks one and it'll activate once you connect to internet.

Memme_gamer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Please go take a look at Settings>Update&Security>Activation. You shouls see your license status there.
If it's "Windows is activated with a license key" in a point of time you had a box or an e-mail from Windows or the seller containing the key. If you can't find it use LicenseCrawler to get the key. Note it. Then run slmgr /upk to remove the key from the computer. Reinstall and enter the key as usual.

If it's "Windows is activatied with a digital license (tied to a Microsoft account)" you can reinstall without any steps. Just say "I don't have a product key" if it asks one and it'll activate once you connect to internet.
it says
Windows has been activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account
I wich i could send a screenshot on what it says but im afriad if i leka any informations anjd you will probably not understand because its not english its swedish

Colif

Win 11 Master
wait now im confused before you said installed i tought it would reset the pc not install a new windows

reset = a clean install of windows. The only difference between it and a clean install is the install process happens after the licence key screen. A reset knows what your key is and starts at the account set up screen - you need to know the account info.

i have a question do i need to know or type my license key if i reset the pc to factory settings because i dont have the license key

If windows still works, why do you want a factory reset? Why not do the reset that keeps Files/Settings. That will keep your current logon info and all you should need is password/pin

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
Windows is quite sturdy when it comes to activation -in fact, you won't also need to use a Microsoft account when doing a fresh install, provided that you did not change any parts or attempt to transfer the key. We'll still log in to an account anyway just in case things go wrong.

*You can see what account you are connected from Settings (press Windows logo and Settings from there), navigate to Accounts and you'll find what mail you had there is. You can use Outlook to reset the password if you don't know it or you can remove the account altogether to switch to a local account, then open another Microsoft account if you want to, however you will most likely need to know the password to the account (It won't remove your license) : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/ff7246e8-aedb-4b84-933f-a15448d8748e

*You can retrieve the OEM key if your PC came with Windows 10, it mostly will not do any help activating, but a handy thing to keep if you can't activate after a reset and phone the Microsoft service. Run the command wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey in an administrator command prompt (Write cmd to search bar, right click, "Run as administrator")

*There is a few ways to reset Windows, each requiring different tools and will delete or keep different files:
1)Refresh/Reset from Settings>Update & Recovery>Recovery: A refresh will only reinstall Windows and delete apps, and it will keep your files intact. A reset will also delete your files. You should ideally try refreshing first.
2)Fresh Start from Windows Security: Downloads a fresh copy of Windows 10 from internet, and refreshes using the same way as the Refresh in the first point does.
3)Reinstalling through recovery media given by your PC manufacturer if it came with Windows 10: Reinstalls the entire Windows AND software your manufacturer packed into it. Data is gone.
4)Reinstalling through Windows 10 install media: Reinstalls Windows without those pesky programs, but it will require some knowledge. Data is still gone.

Options where data is gone will remove any configuration such as backgrounds, programs, connected accounts etc.

Solution