Do I need to update bios of MSI/Gigabyte AM4 Motherboard for Ryzen 3 1200 / 1300x ?

lust4money_ph

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
As the title says, am I required to update the bios of MSI and Gigabyte AM4 Motherboards if I put in a Ryzen 3 1200 or Ryzen 3 1300x? Or it will work even if I don't update it.

I've heard rumors that Ryzen 3 is too new and most mobo manufacturers still didn't updated their motherboards for Ryzen processors.

Sorry for this noob question, this will be my first build. I'm just few steps away now of buying the whole set so before I do that, I want to make sure there will be no problem (like bricking my mobo bcoz of that stupid update).

Kind of techie but not too pro to handle this kind of stuff since motherboards ain't cheap. Don't want to brick this precious MSI/Gigabyte.

So the question is..
Do I need to update the bios?
Or it will still work (with ryzen 3 sticked in)?
Or I need to manually update it in bios?

Solution
For all MB manufacturers, all R3, 5 and 7 processors except for Raven Ridge, (2200g and 2400g) are actually same processor with some cores disabled so they all work with any BIOS.
Still.... you may be well advised to flash to newest one anyway, they keep improving them all the time.

lust4money_ph

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Really? If that's the case, I can assume Ryzen 3 1200 / 1300x and my mobo won't be having any bios issues then. Any confirmation for this info? Anyone?

For all MB manufacturers, all R3, 5 and 7 processors except for Raven Ridge, (2200g and 2400g) are actually same processor with some cores disabled so they all work with any BIOS.
Still.... you may be well advised to flash to newest one anyway, they keep improving them all the time.

Solution

lust4money_ph

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

That's a good news for me :D ! Thanks guys, all of your answers really helped a lot. I know what to do now. :) Maybe stay away from 2200g for now and stick with the R3. Don't have any spare AM4 CPU to update bios LOL.

I've also heard they got memory compatibility issues too? Is Ballistix (digital camo grey) 2400 4GBx2 compatible with this build? They're not on AMDs list for compatible memory manufacturer (micron).

lust4money_ph

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Reply updated, can you confirm the compatibility of this RAM i'm talking about? I've heard ryzen also have RAM compatibility issue. Not yet building and I'm already having a headache knowing what's right for ryzen (aside from specs, ryzen seems miticulous).

lust4money_ph

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Nah, still want to know if it's compatible since there is a Ryzen and RAM compatibility issue. Will buy it after clearing some questions I have.

Already knew about that ddr4 stuff and how much max speed I can input without doing OC (already specified in mobo specs). What I need to know is the Ryzen and RAM issue. What's needed to be addressed and what to know to avoid this so called ram issue of ryzen processors.

I'm talking about this list: https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-adds-to-list-of-certified-ddr4-memory-for-ryzen/
and this: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/784694-Ryzen-and-RAM-still-an-issue