Do I need to update my bios for new GPU?

Aug 12, 2018
So i just bought a 1080ti and ive been having major problems with it. No game ive run is going passed 15-20 fps. Ive been working with Nvidia support and weve gone through all of the motions...

The last suggestion they had was that they said my motherboard BIOS isnt up to date and that i should update it to see if that helps.

Is this a necessary step? Ive never done it before and do not want to ruin anything so i figured i should ask some experts.

Im running an ASUS Z87-A

Thank you.

You need to do EVERYTHING they ask. Every step you take is getting closer to an RMA.

I went from a 970 to a 1080 Ti on a Z97 board and I didn't need a BIOS update. I agree this "troubleshooting" step is grasping at smoke.

It is possible that if you don't perform a BIOS update correctly you can brick your board compounding your current problem. Talk to Asus while you update your BIOS so you know you aren't going to make a mistake.

Please list all of your PC's components including the PSU.

I know it is extreme but some will perform a clean-install of their OS and some problems like these can be fixed. Prior to that a driver reinstall is performed.

This be why I stick with EVGA. They, imo have the best, and some would say most liberal, RMA process in the business.

first off are you on the gpu video port or the mb dvi port. if your on the mb dvi port your using the intel ipgpu and not your gaming gpu.
on the bios update it easy to do and hard to brick the mb.
download the 2103 bios and unzip it to a usb stick.
with the usb stick connected boot into the bios.
on the bios main screen will be the bios rev the mb is at.
if it at 2103 stop your bios is already updated. if not go to advance mode in the bios
when there there a tab to update the bios. the bios updater will ask where the bios file is point it to the usb stick and let it run. you can also hit one of the funtion keys at post and go right to the bios updater.

Aug 12, 2018
Thank you for the responses.

I updated my bios to the latest version and ran a benchmark. Unfortunately this did not solve my issue. Still running on extremely low fps with as low as 4.

Do you think its a bad card?

Am i missing other steps to take?

Thanks

Comp Specs:

GTX 1080TI
Z87A Motherboard
32G RAM
Seagate 1000W PSU
I5 4670K

Edit 2:
My issue is now being escalated to the back end support team for Nvidia... oh boy :)
I will keep this updated in case anyone else is having this issue as well.