Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Okay, so I have a Dell Latitude 3189, but I have a question. Some programs crash very fast (ex: Chrome, it says aw snap! and something with the memory being full). The RAM isn't full at all, it's like on 50% usage. But, on the support site for the laptop, it says that there's a BIOS update available. In the changelog it's talking about improved RAM stability. So, will updating it help me with this issue? Does updating it void any warranty? Thanks!

Solution
Alright, I'm a bit late with this update, but I found the problem. When I updated the BIOS it didn't change much, but now I found the issue: there was no page file. I don't know why it was turned off, but now with it on it works great!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well if I'm not mistaken - the Dell Latitude 3189 only has 4GB RAM - so I can see how it will fill up pretty quickly using chrome with other applications. It is an absolutely memory fiend.
Updating the BIOS won't void your warranty from my previous understanding with dell - but you're best simply looking up your own warranty to make sure this hasn't changed.

The BIOS update may help - but may not. Depends on what is causing the RAM usage error ultimately. There's no harm in updating the BIOS if done correctly.

What bit version of chrome are you running? You may also want to clear all the cache etc on your browser. Does the problem occur when you only have 1 or 2 tabs open and no other programs? Or does it tend to happen when running multiple tabs or applications?

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Well if I'm not mistaken - the Dell Latitude 3189 only has 4GB RAM - so I can see how it will fill up pretty quickly using chrome with other applications. It is an absolutely memory fiend.
Updating the BIOS won't void your warranty from my previous understanding with dell - but you're best simply looking up your own warranty to make sure this hasn't changed.

The BIOS update may help - but may not. Depends on what is causing the RAM usage error ultimately. There's no harm in updating the BIOS if done correctly.

What bit version of chrome are you running? You may also want to clear all the cache etc on your browser. Does the problem occur when you only have 1 or 2 tabs open and no other programs? Or does it tend to happen when running multiple tabs or applications?

I'm running the 64 bit Chrome. It crashes even with only 1 page and no other software. With only Chrome running, it never uses more than 2gb of RAM in total.

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Alright, I'm a bit late with this update, but I found the problem. When I updated the BIOS it didn't change much, but now I found the issue: there was no page file. I don't know why it was turned off, but now with it on it works great!

Solution