[SOLVED] Do I need to update my Bios? Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 7 3700x

Zealiance

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
I currently have a Ryzen 5 1600, and am upgrading to a Ryzen 7 3700x. My motherboard is a ASRock AB350M Pro 4. I haven't upgraded the Bios before but I have downloaded the latest Bios update onto a flashdrive if I need it how ever i'm unsure if I need it. IF I do, should I update the Bios before I switch CPU's or after?

Solution
I currently have a Ryzen 5 1600, and am upgrading to a Ryzen 7 3700x. My motherboard is a ASRock AB350M Pro 4. I haven't upgraded the Bios before but I have downloaded the latest Bios update onto a flashdrive if I need it how ever i'm unsure if I need it. IF I do, should I update the Bios before I switch CPU's or after?
You can't jump to the LATEST BIOS. Did you read the BIOS page ?? You will have to do a series of updates.
You need to determine which version you have. If it is less than 3.4 you will have to start there.
Then read ALL the prerequsites for each version.
Yes you'll need to update your BIOS to the P5.90 BIOS or newer for the 3700X to work:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M Pro4/#CPU

You'll need to update your BIOS before the CPU installation.

What BIOS version are you on currently?

You'll probably need to update your BIOS,this depends on the version you have currently, to P3.00, then P3.40,then P5.50, then latest as it clearly states on their website.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zealiance

kanewolf

Titan
You can't jump to the LATEST BIOS. Did you read the BIOS page ?? You will have to do a series of updates.
You need to determine which version you have. If it is less than 3.4 you will have to start there.

Solution

Zealiance

Reputable
Dec 20, 2016
So my current version is 3.0, so I'll need to download 3.4, then to 5.5 and 5.9. For 5.5 and 5.9 I'll need the "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver " which I have installed. A question I had though is would I be able to have all the versions (3.4,5.5,5.9) on the flash drive and just select the version for that step or would it be better to download one then get the next version separately as I go along.

So my current version is 3.0, so I'll need to download 3.4, then to 5.5 and 5.9. For 5.5 and 5.9 I'll need the "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver " which I have installed. A question I had though is would I be able to have all the versions (3.4,5.5,5.9) on the flash drive and just select the version for that step or would it be better to download one then get the next version separately as I go along.

You can have all of them on your flash drive. Just update them in the right order.