[SOLVED] do i need to update my bios?

Feb 20, 2019
Hi ladies and gents! i have a i3-4130 on a asrock B85m-hds mobo wanting to change to a i7-4790. and i was hoping to just swap, insert and enjoy. but then after watching tutorials on replacing a cpu on youtube. the word "BIOS" popped out and i starting doing some checking and found out my version is 1.10 while the newest update is 1.80. so question is.. do i need to do an update? if yes, can i do it before installing the new i7-4790? or after and do it through a usb? and do i just install the latest one? or the one i only need, that being version 1.30?

or have i just watched too many tutorial and paranoided myself?

anyway thanks for reading! any help will be much appricated!

btw heres the info i got :https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M-HDS/index.asp#BIOS

Solution
You can go to the manufacturers site and download the motherboard manual directly - http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/B85M-HDS.pdf
That's assuming you have V1, if you have V2 - then go to that support manual instead.

You update the BIOS with your current CPU in place, so that the BIOS is then compatible with your new CPU when it is installed - otherwise you won't be able to boot. You can update to the latest version without any issues. Just stating that any BIOS after 1.3 will be needed for the 4790.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
According to ASRock - the motherboard requires BIOS version 1.3 onwards to use the 4790. So yes you'll need to update the BIOS.
You'll find how to update the BIOS using the ASRock instant flash utility on page 6 of your motherboard manual.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can go to the manufacturers site and download the motherboard manual directly - http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/B85M-HDS.pdf
That's assuming you have V1, if you have V2 - then go to that support manual instead.

You update the BIOS with your current CPU in place, so that the BIOS is then compatible with your new CPU when it is installed - otherwise you won't be able to boot. You can update to the latest version without any issues. Just stating that any BIOS after 1.3 will be needed for the 4790.

Solution

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Yes, you need to update your BIOS in order to use that CPU, there should be instructions on the website on how to flash the motherboard, i would recommend updating the BIOS while on the i3 and then changing the CPU after the new BIOS version is installed.

Feb 20, 2019

Ahh.. thanks so much ! just that that bios is something a newbie like me find quite scary, caused maybe its something ppl say "if it aint broken dont fix it" type of a case. and Asrock not taking any responsibility if any damage with a big red colour font could make any noob feel uneasy. cause BIG RED FONTS ARE SCARY !:p

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It will always come across scarier that you think. But if you follow instructions to the letter - there won't be a problem
The issue tends to come from people who don't follow instructions correctly, or interupt the flash process - which is the worst thing you can do.

Yes - i would always operate a "don't fix what isn't broken" philosophy - but you're not trying to fix, you're trying to update to take a new CPU, which is required if you want that new CPU, so there's no real alternative.

Feb 20, 2019
It will always come across scarier that you think. But if you follow instructions to the letter - there won't be a problem
The issue tends to come from people who don't follow instructions correctly, or interupt the flash process - which is the worst thing you can do.

Yes - i would always operate a "don't fix what isn't broken" philosophy - but you're not trying to fix, you're trying to update to take a new CPU, which is required if you want that new CPU, so there's no real alternative.

Yeah that makes sense! ok thanks very much ! admin you now give this thread a big green solved sign.