Question do i need to upgrade 8Gb to 16GB on portable laptop?

Sep 5, 2019
On my dell e6230, i7-3520m cpu laptop. I have 8GB ram on it, I am wondering whether to upgrade to 16GB. I use outlook browsing the web, youtube, and office work. I do have copious amounts of tabs open at times. So was wondering whether it would be worthwhile dropping $130 on ram. The laptop is worth $130 itself.

Not worth it for the tasks you're doing (especially as the laptop is worth $130). Admittedly, having a lot of tabs open in Chrome is definitely a resource hog, it seems like a lot to spend for an upgrade that will give you minimal extra performance. You'd be better off upgrading to an SSD.

Reactions: JoesSoftware

lynx1021

Distinguished
Crucial has a 16GB kit for $89 , or you could get the part number off of your existing stick and buy 1 online to match. That is what I did on mine(4GB) until I found a Corsair 16GB kit for $60. The best Upgrade I did to it was a 960GB SSD for $85, now it "Flies" LOL Saw your laptop for about $280 refurbished.

Reactions: JoesSoftware
Sep 5, 2019
Thanks for the tips guys. RAM is a lot more expensive here for me in the UK. I mentioned price is USD as that's the primary demograpgic on this site. But here in the UK the ram is a bit more expensive. The price I quoted was for crucial.com

I already have an SSD and it's pretty fast in that department. I will leave it on 8GB (it has 2x4GB sticks unfortunately), not 1x8gb.