Question Do i need to upgrade cooling/fans when upgrading gaming PC ?

SHI KI

Honorable
May 18, 2017
I'm upgrading my very old gaming pc as it's starting to run a little slow, and im wondering how necessary it is to upgrade cooling/fans. The plan is to use the CPU cooler that comes with the processor, and the fan(s) that are already in the chassis. Like i said it's a very old pc so theres probably just some basic <Mod Edit> in there. Will it be enough? (im also pretty new at this stuff).

Old setup:
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 200R
PSU: Cooler Master G650M
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45, Socket-1150
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Gaming X
(Not sure what cooling/fans i have)

Upgrades:
CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F
PSU: ASUS ROG Strix 850
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI (DDR4)
GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 12GB OC V2
Some RAM.

Not changing PC case.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the fan that come with the 12400f you should be good. The case fans are likely ok. Try it and watch your temps. You can always take the side of the case off the machine temporarily if you do have temp issues.

Mostly if you have issue it would be to add fans not so much replace them. The time it becomes more important is when your case has lots of solid panels and few places to mount fans.

Reactions: SHI KI

SHI KI

Honorable
May 18, 2017
If you use the fan that come with the 12400f you should be good. The case fans are likely ok. Try it and watch your temps. You can always take the side of the case off the machine temporarily if you do have temp issues.

Mostly if you have issue it would be to add fans not so much replace them. The time it becomes more important is when your case has lots of solid panels and few places to mount fans.
Okay thank you, that's very helpful!
Probably a dumb question but, how do i watch the temps? Do i have to do it through BIOS or is there some other way to do it? :)

SHI KI

Honorable
May 18, 2017
You'll probably need a better cpu cooler. CM Hyper 212, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 or similar.

I'd suggest getting a new pc case also - with improved air flow (mesh front).
Your current case is not meant for gaming grade components.
It has closed front and heavily obstructed air flow.
How important is that haha? At that point im practically building a new pc and that feel a little daunting ngl.

This is one of those I can't say what the best tool to monitor temps are. I have always used a program that is now called HWMONITOR by CPUID, It does the job and I have been to lazy to see if there is something better.
It is like many of these tools the free one is good enough for most people but they try to sell you the pro version.

To monitor your temperatures, install HWmonitor.
It will show your current, minimum and maximum temperatures.

The included cpu fan will work.
But, the single front 120mm intake fan will limit the ability of the cpu cooler to do it's job, and the 3060 card will need cooling airflow also.
If you love the case, you could install a much higher capacity 120mm front intake, but that would be noisy.
Better, I think to replace the case.

If you want a better cpu cooler, look into the thermalright peerless asassin:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermalright-peerless-assassin-120-se

FWIW, I would spend another $30 or so for the non F cpu version that gives you integrated graphics.
A cheap insurance if you ever have graphics issues.

At that point im practically building a new pc and that feel a little daunting ngl.
You're already building a new pc.
New motherboard, cpu, ram, psu, gpu - that is a completely new pc.
BTW - old DDR3 ram can not be reused on Intel 12th gen system.

If you don't get appropriate pc case for gaming grade components, you'll be fighting excessive temperatures all the time.
No additional fans can compensate for unsuitable pc case design.

SHI KI

Honorable
May 18, 2017
You're already building a new pc.
New motherboard, cpu, ram, psu, gpu - that is a completely new pc.
BTW - old DDR3 ram can not be reused on Intel 12th gen system.

If you don't get appropriate pc case for gaming grade components, you'll be fighting excessive temperatures all the time.
No additional fans can compensate for unsuitable pc case design.
Yeah you're right I'll invest in a new case and cooler. Thank you so much! :)