[SOLVED] Do I need to upgrade my chipset drivers?

Nov 9, 2020
It says I have chipset drivers from 2016. That's basically when I bought my PC :/ I have no idea how to check if there's 2020 versions out right now (I'm pretty sure there are). All I know is chipset drivers need to be updated if you're having performance issues. I used to almost get 400fps on CSGO when I first got my PC in training mode (Aim Botz training in the workshop) and now I barely get a stable 200fps, so I think I need to update it, or some component is just getting fried in my PC. There's six different chipset drivers (or something) in my device manager.

Here's what two of them say : intel(r) 100 series/c230 series chipset family PCI express root port #2 - a111
intel(r) 100 series/c230 series chipset family LPC controller (Z170) - a145

Solution
Chipset drivers have nothing at all to do with the mouse except where the USB drivers are ALL part of the chipset package. On yours, there seems to be an ASMedia USB 3.1 controller in addition to whatever is part of the chipset, so that may be relevant as well.

As to the rest, I'm sure you could argue with Intel about whether the chipset driver THEY list as being from 2020 is in fact from 2016 or not. All I know is that is the latest driver package available for your, or any 100 series Skylake compatible chipset. Other than that, I'd suggest that it is probably time to simply do a clean install of the OS and be done with it.
Nov 9, 2020
What are your full hardware specifications including CPU, motherboard model, etc?
I really hate that this site always classifies my screenshots, or websites that I linked as "spam", so I can't just show you the picture... Now I have to type everything here.

GPU : GTX 1070
CPU : i7 6700
Model : Alienware Aurora R5
Motherboard : 01NYPT (I think it's called)
RAM : 16 GB 1 stick (I don't specifically know the name of the RAM that I have)
I'm pretty sure that's all you need to know. If not just tell me.

It shouldn't. Not if you link to images correctly. As explained here:

If you link to images hosted at known spam hotspots or sites known for nefarious activity, then yeah, it's going to do that.

Nov 9, 2020
It shouldn't. Not if you link to images correctly. As explained here:

If you link to images hosted at known spam hotspots or sites known for nefarious activity, then yeah, it's going to do that.
Can you give me any advice based on what I gave you?

Can you give me any advice based on what I gave you?
No.

Not without knowing the express service tag number. That tells us exactly what hardware it came with, as it could have come with a variety of configurations and hardware. You can try the Intel driver support assistant. Personally I don't like, nor do I trust, using ANY kind of automatic detection or installation utility. They never work right in my experience and more often than not they create problems that weren't there prior to installing them. Plus, they are often wrong. I don't know how many times I've seen somebody say that their BIOS or drivers are up to date based on a utility that is expressely purposed for that exact thing, that didn't show updates when updates or newer versions were available.

As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to not simply find and install the drivers manually, unless you have to use a utility because no compatible drivers can be found automatically anymore due to whatever reason.

Nov 9, 2020
No.

Not without knowing the express service tag number. That tells us exactly what hardware it came with, as it could have come with a variety of configurations and hardware. You can try the Intel driver support assistant. Personally I don't like, nor do I trust, using ANY kind of automatic detection or installation utility. They never work right in my experience and more often than not they create problems that weren't there prior to installing them. Plus, they are often wrong. I don't know how many times I've seen somebody say that their BIOS or drivers are up to date based on a utility that is expressely purposed for that exact thing, that didn't show updates when updates or newer versions were available.

As far as I'm concerned there is no reason to not simply find and install the drivers manually, unless you have to use a utility because no compatible drivers can be found automatically anymore due to whatever reason.
View: https://youtu.be/T-VVmHbcJKE
Imgur wouldn't let me sign up for some reason. It said that I couldn't use my phone number to verify the sign in process, so here's a 2 minute video of my PC. Idk if that's enough information for you, but I did what I could because for some reason this website doesn't accept gyazos :/

Sorry man, but that video is too blurry for me to even read any of those specs from. Besides which, it's not going to tell me the service tag number anyhow, and that is the ONLY thing that is going to tell us exactly what we need.

Since you seem unwilling to do that, then I'd suggest (Against my own opinion that using automatic utilities is wise, unless it's absolutely necessary, which, in this case it might be) you go to the following link and let the Dell utility analyze your system to find any drivers that need to be updated.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r5-desktop/drivers

Honestly though, on a system that old, you are probably just as well, or better off, just allowing Windows update to tell you whether or not there are newer or better drivers available. Either way works. Neither way is as good as manually identifying the newest and most appropriate drivers or BIOS versions, but probably still good enough for 90% of people.

Nov 9, 2020
Sorry man, but that video is too blurry for me to even read any of those specs from. Besides which, it's not going to tell me the service tag number anyhow, and that is the ONLY thing that is going to tell us exactly what we need.

Since you seem unwilling to do that, then I'd suggest (Against my own opinion that using automatic utilities is wise, unless it's absolutely necessary, which, in this case it might be) you go to the following link and let the Dell utility analyze your system to find any drivers that need to be updated.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r5-desktop/drivers

Honestly though, on a system that old, you are probably just as well, or better off, just allowing Windows update to tell you whether or not there are newer or better drivers available. Either way works. Neither way is as good as manually identifying the newest and most appropriate drivers or BIOS versions, but probably still good enough for 90% of people.
I tried doing that. It says I have a lot of drivers that need to be updated, but when I try to download the drivers it says it's already up to date. I'll also try to figure out the service tag. As for the video I think youtube has to render it fully because I record my videos in 2560x1440, which is definitely not blurry :/

[removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 9, 2020
I installed everything that you mentioned, but the BIOS update and chipset. The BIOS version that I have is already up to date and the chipset driver says "are you sure that you want to downgrade to this version" meaning that I already have a better version. My chipset drivers are from 2016, so that means there wasn't an update for those drivers for almost 5 years? I doubt it

Nov 9, 2020
I doubt it also. Try this one from the Intel website. It is the MOST recent 100 series chipset driver available. It is from 2020, so if you get that message again, ignore it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29634/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=98456
I don't know how many times I'm going to have to download some new firmware for it to not work... I downloaded what you told me and it said successfully updated, then when I look at the version it still says it's from 2016 with the same exact date. Again I really doubt there's not a driver newer than 2016. I also think my driver is old because when I do this test for my mouse on this website https://www.vsynctester.com/testing/mouse.html the graph is jittery (almost like a lot of mountains). I have six other mice, so it's not my mouse. I have done everything you can possibly think of to fix that mouse jitter and my only theory is that my chipset drivers need to be updated.

Nov 9, 2020
Chipset drivers have nothing at all to do with the mouse except where the USB drivers are ALL part of the chipset package. On yours, there seems to be an ASMedia USB 3.1 controller in addition to whatever is part of the chipset, so that may be relevant as well.

As to the rest, I'm sure you could argue with Intel about whether the chipset driver THEY list as being from 2020 is in fact from 2016 or not. All I know is that is the latest driver package available for your, or any 100 series Skylake compatible chipset. Other than that, I'd suggest that it is probably time to simply do a clean install of the OS and be done with it.

Solution