Do I need to upgrade my entire computer?

Zephyr_The_West

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
I have talked with a few of my MMO friends, and I am wondering if I need to upgrade my entire pc to get 40+ fps when I am playing my MMOs. So, if it is possible, can I upgrade a couple parts of my pc to be able to play games at high fps? Here is all the hardware i could find out about my pc.

CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 4x processor

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT

Memory (RAM): 3gb of currently usable memory

Hard Drive: 466gb of total storage left. (only 4% used)

Monitor: 1920x1200 1080p, But I am forced to use a DVI input instead of HDMI because my computer does not have any HDMI ports.

If I do have to get a new pc, please read below.

I play many MMOs and other high-end games on my current pc, but I can only run very low graphics. Even then, I only get around 5-15 fps. I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out. I've been looking around PC part picker, newegg, and asked some of the gamers in my MMOs for assistance with this, But even with their help, I have not found a suitable pc. I would prefer a 8gb RAM. Everything else is fine by your standards.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week (the closer the better)

Budget Range: $700-$850

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies/Netflix

Are you buying a monitor: no

Parts to Upgrade: Refer to top part of post.

Do you need to buy OS: I do not know. How can I find out?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, pcpartpicker, anywhere that sells quality products.

Parts Preferences: Intel, since I have heard they have better value for gaming.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: My pc does not need to be quiet. It can have a window If you guys believe that would be best.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Inability to enjoy and play games to their fullest.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this! :)

Rahbot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
I would suggest a AMD Phenom II x4 or an FX Series Processor and like 8 GB of ram... and aleast a 550 TI or higher GPU if you want to go AMD which is cheaper and just as good in my eyes as Intel...