[SOLVED] Do I need to upgrade my grandson's pc? Advice Needed!

Dec 29, 2020
My 11 yo grandson has asked me to upgrade his pc so I can gift him some games he wants (what's a grandad for after all?) Below is the current configuration which needs to be upgraded to i7a-7700K and GTX-1080 (according to what is listed as minimum requirements). What do I need to accomplish this (new motherboard needed, different case because of the new motherboard, etc.)? He plays with Oculus Quest VR and looking to play "The Wizards Dark Times VR" , "Boneworks", and "Asgards Wrath".
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated so that I can maintain my "hero" status in his eyes!!
He has the Oculus Quest and has been playing games with the current configuration, but he wants MORE POWER!
UPDATE: Motherboard is Asus Z97-K Power Supply: Corsair CX600
I've also taken a few photos that better minds than mine can interpret...
133300794_10218034510601731_3165854594885689749_n.jpg
134578791_10218034510681733_4269135586806215654_n.jpg
133275166_10218034510441727_6854211765494288981_n.jpg

CPU-Z TXT Report
Processors
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Number of sockets 1
Number of threads 4
APICs

Socket 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Manufacturer GenuineIntel
Name Intel Core i5 4690K
Codename Haswell
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1150 LGA (0x1)
CPUID 6.C.3
Extended CPUID 6.3C
Core Stepping C0
Technology 22 nm
TDP Limit 88.0 Watts
Tjmax 100.0 °C
Core Speed 4299.0 MHz

L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 4 x 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L3 cache 6 MBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Turbo Mode supported, enabled
Max non-turbo ratio 35x
Max turbo ratio 43x
Max efficiency ratio 8x

BIOS
UEFI Yes
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS MSG 63-0100-000001-00101111-080913-Chipset
BIOS Date 08/09/13
Mainboard Vendor 000001
Chipset
Northbridge Intel Haswell rev. 06
Southbridge Intel Z97 rev. 00
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 24 GBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 1066.5 MHz (1:8)
CAS# latency (CL) 11.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 11
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11
Cycle Time (tRAS) 30
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 278
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Uncore Frequency 3899.1 MHz
Host Bridge 0x0C00

Memory SPD
DIMM # 1
Size 8192 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)

DIMM # 2
Size 4096 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3-12800 (800 MHz)

DIMM # 3
Size 8192 MBytes

DIMM # 4
Size 4096 MBytes
Hardware monitor Nuvoton NCT6791D

Hardware monitor NVIDIA NVAPI
Clock Speed 0 139.00 MHz [0x8B] (Graphics)
Clock Speed 1 405.00 MHz [0x195] (Memory)
Clock Speed 2 n.a. (Processor)

Display adapter 0
ID 0x1090306
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Codename GP106-400
Cores 1280
ROP Units 48
TM Units 80
Technology 16 nm
Memory size 6 GB
Memory type GDDR5
PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
Core clock 139.0 MHz
Memory clock 405.0 MHz

Monitor 0
Model BenQ XL2720T ()
Max Resolution 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Horizontal Freq. Range 30-140 kHz
Vertical Freq. Range 56-120 Hz
Max Pixel Clock 330 MHz
Gamma Factor 2.2

Monitor 1
Model 27MP34 (LG Electronics (GoldStar))
Horizontal Freq. Range 30-83 kHz
Vertical Freq. Range 56-75 Hz
Max Pixel Clock 150 MHz
Gamma Factor 2.2

Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit (Build 19041)
DirectX Version 12.0

Last edited:
Solution
Ah, I forgot to say. your M.2 support is empty in your motherboard. It's really really a good idea to have an SSD. It makes life so faster.
My SSD read speed is 20x faster than the HDD on my laptop. (I benchmarked, didn't eyeball it)
With SSD you open Microsoft Office in one second. your grandson will put the headset down and awe how fast windows loads.

You must get a Radeon graphics cards, you are going to spend a lot. Better not pay extra for nVidia.
My power Supply is second hand. It has 10 years warranty. I think you can trust a used Corsair.

so you need : cpu, mobo, ram, psu and ssd

So what do you think about this:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NZYsMv

There's compatibility warning about b450 chipset with the cpu...

USAFRet

Titan
Start here:

Someone will be along to present you with a couple of systems.

Also...

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@epconrad
Hi, about your current system. Your cpu was bottlenecking the graphics card. That means you bought a gpu that could never use its full potential due to the weak cpu.

In other words : you shouldn't have bought that gpu, you should have get a better cpu to use that gpu fully.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-4690K/GeForce_GTX_1060/0AQ0Velu/8/100

I see your monitor max resolution is 1080, so your cpu was too weak for that gpu.

Imagine your gpu was a Ferrari engine that you placed on a tractor (i5 4690k) - so some of your money spent on the gpu was wasted and never materialized into performance.

Dec 29, 2020
@epconrad
Hi, about your current system. Your cpu was bottlenecking the graphics card. That means you bought a gpu that could never use its full potential due to the weak cpu.

In other words : you shouldn't have bought that gpu, you should have get a better cpu to use that gpu fully.

I see your monitor max resolution is 1080, so your cpu was too weak for that gpu.

Imagine your gpu was a Ferrari engine that you placed on a tractor (i5 4690k) - so some of your money spent on the gpu was wasted and never materialized into performance.
I appreciate the information. The video was last Christmas upgrade so he could use his Oculus Quest Christmas present. Now I'm looking to upgrade the rest of the system to allow him to play the new games.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I appreciate the information. The video was last Christmas upgrade so he could use his Oculus Quest Christmas present. Now I'm looking to upgrade the rest of the system to allow him to play the new games.

Umm, so you want to change the graphics again? Seems like you're planning 1080 with i7-7700k

How much will be 1080? Can you tell me so I can estimate other parts.
You'll need to change cpu, motherboard, rams and power supply.

Probably not case, I can't see your motherboard's model in the information you posted. I'm guessing it's ATX size because of 4 ddr3 slots.

Dec 29, 2020
Umm, so you want to change the graphics again? Seems like you're planning 1080 with i7-7700k

How much will be 1080? Can you tell me so I can estimate other parts.
You'll need to change cpu, motherboard, rams and power supply.

Probably not case, I can't see your motherboard's model in the information you posted. I'm guessing it's ATX size because of 4 ddr3 slots.
That is what is listed as min requirements for one of the games. The others seem like they will run under current config. I see the 1080 from $300-500 range. Is it worth upgrading the whole system for the one game? I know that the upgrades will payoff when he wants other, newer games. So the i5 to i7 isn't just a direct swap of cpu's I gather.

First suggestion, edit your post to summarize what you now have.
You will get more responses.
I see 4690K as a processor.
The strongest upgrade on your motherboard will be a i7-4790K which is not as strong as the required 7700K.
You are going to need a new motherboard for that.
I would suggest a i5-10600K, a Z490 based motherboard and a 2 x 16gb kit of ddr4 3600 ram. to equal the 24gb you now have.

What is the make/model of the current case?
A K suffix processor needs a good cooler, and the case may have limitations on that.

What is the make/model of the power supply?
The psu is the limiting factor on how strong a graphics card that can be supported. Quality counts. A good psu can deliver advertised power and more.
A cheap unit may not.

Graphics cards are very hard to buy now.
The new 3060 and 3070 cards are very good and the list prices are also very good. Unfortunately, they are hard to find and prices are jacked up.
You may find good value in a used GTX1080ti or similar.
Tom's gpu hierarchy chart will give you a ranking of graphics cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

That is what is listed as min requirements for one of the games. The others seem like they will run under current config. I see the 1080 from $300-500 range. Is it worth upgrading the whole system for the one game? I know that the upgrades will payoff when he wants other, newer games. So the i5 to i7 isn't just a direct swap of cpu's I gather.
Other than the video card you'd want a new build imo which can be done for cheap. Right around $600 would be my guess.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020

Thing is you can tell me your motherboard. Then we see list of supported CPUs and swap i5 to i7.
But you're paying 500$ for graphics. I can suggest stronger gpu with same budget, however again it's less likely the strongest cpu your motherboard can support will not bottleneck that again.

So you'll end up paying 300~500 for a gpu that will be chocked by the best i7 your motherboard can take.

Umm, @geofelt says your motherboard can support upto i7-4790. I don't know how he found out. So that was the horror. You'll pay a lot for a gpu that will be suffocated.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
@epconrad
I suggest Radeon cards instead of nVidia 1080.

I have nVidia, but I need the CUDA for Machine Learning. nVidia also has Raytracing which Radeon doesn't. But lots of people in this forum said they end up disabling raytracing to gain more fps. Unless for very high end graphic cards and very few games, raytracing is bells and whistles.

So you get better performance for price with Radeon cards. If you get nVidia, you'll end up mutilating its extra feature whereas you could get a stronger Radeon for less price.

Dec 29, 2020
First suggestion, edit your post to summarize what you now have.
You will get more responses.
I see 4690K as a processor.
The strongest upgrade on your motherboard will be a i7-4790K which is not as strong as the required 7700K.
You are going to need a new motherboard for that.
I would suggest a i5-10600K, a Z490 based motherboard and a 2 x 16gb kit of ddr4 3600 ram. to equal the 24gb you now have.

What is the make/model of the current case?
A K suffix processor needs a good cooler, and the case may have limitations on that.

What is the make/model of the power supply?
The psu is the limiting factor on how strong a graphics card that can be supported. Quality counts. A good psu can deliver advertised power and more.
A cheap unit may not.

Graphics cards are very hard to buy now.
The new 3060 and 3070 cards are very good and the list prices are also very good. Unfortunately, they are hard to find and prices are jacked up.
You may find good value in a used GTX1080ti or similar.
Tom's gpu hierarchy chart will give you a ranking of graphics cards:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
I updated the post with some photos. power is corsair cx600 motherboard is Asus Z97-K
Also, I trimmed down the specs (thanks for the suggestion)

Dec 29, 2020
Factor in replacing that CX600 along with the other new parts.
It is now long in the tooth, and more than a couple of systems have been killed by those. (I speak from direct experience)
Looks like I have to bite the bullet and spend some $$$ on a new system for the kid. Oh well, I guess I just inherited a better one than the one I'm typing on now!

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I updated the post with some photos. power is corsair cx600 motherboard is Asus Z97-K
Also, I trimmed down the specs (thanks for the suggestion)

Gee, you're using watercooling!
Here's snowing now. 1:40 a.m.

my hard disk is 16c. I'm worried its bearings freeze. my CPU is 24c weather is -12 and yesterday I was walking outside, my tears froze inside my eyelashes.
so @geofelt said:

"A K suffix processor needs a good cooler, and the case may have limitations on that."

Don't worry (@epconrad I'm talking to you) since you use watercooling, your cooler won't bulge out of your case. And your Asus motherboard is ATX size, so you don't need a bigger case.
Some aircoolings on CPU are so tall, they need a case to accommodate them. but you just pour water on your cpu as you're doing now.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
Ah, I forgot to say. your M.2 support is empty in your motherboard. It's really really a good idea to have an SSD. It makes life so faster.
My SSD read speed is 20x faster than the HDD on my laptop. (I benchmarked, didn't eyeball it)
With SSD you open Microsoft Office in one second. your grandson will put the headset down and awe how fast windows loads.

You must get a Radeon graphics cards, you are going to spend a lot. Better not pay extra for nVidia.
My power Supply is second hand. It has 10 years warranty. I think you can trust a used Corsair.

There's compatibility warning about b450 chipset with the cpu. don't worry, according to motherboard's website it's safe.
What I like about the motherboard is, it's 5cm less tall than yours. So it's cute. yet it has 4 ram slots, you can expand to 64gb when you wish. Others may protest my choice of motherboard, they say a newer chipset and 128gb support is a better option. But I think you'll never get more than 64GB ram. you have 24gb now, you'll get 32 with the build I'm suggesting and you still have room to double that. I have 32gb ram, it never gets used more than 16gb unless when I'm simulating ocean waves with foam, spray and bubbles.

Come on, it's cute. motherboard has M in its name, stands for mini. doesn't need a mini case, every fat case can swallow minis.

here's motherboard's website, so the warning should not worry you:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-1x#kf

You can buy a Samsung SSD, I just picked HP because I have it and price is 10$ cheaper. HP even has faster read speed than Samsung. Of course Samsung is prescribed as general top brand, I don't want to give 10$ to rich guys. So I hail HP. you can tell your grandson that HP stands for Harry Potter. then Santa will tell him you lied. But think about Hero Status; it's easier for Dumbledore to say HP than to say Samsung.

See HP EX950 has 3500mbps read speed, while Samsung EVO has 3400. Also HP endurance is 650 Terabytes until it dies, while Samsung lifespan is 600 terabytes. Also games read more than write, so higher read speed is better for gaming. So I'm holding that 10$ like a bone between my jaws. I hate samsung, I hate when everybody loves one thing.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-ex950-nvme-ssd-2tb,5306.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-970-evo-ssd-review,5573.html

in this pdf, datasheet you see Samsung read is 100megabytes slower than hp and it lives 50terabytes less:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81FMdKXxvvL.pdf

Ok, now it's time to get to the neck. The graphics 5700xt and processor 3600x don't bite each other's neck:
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_5_3600X/Radeon_RX_5700_XT/0Um14j28/8/100

what you can get from nVidia to be faster than 5700xt are these models: 1080Ti, 2070 Super, 2080, 3060Ti all more expensive. Unless you can find 3060Ti with good price.

here's 3060Ti, if you find any that is not sold out, be very quiet and press add to cart. don't let anyone see you.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/g...t=9&locale=en-us&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 3060 Ti

you can get Corsair ram instead of G-Skill. I just wanted to save some bucks. I don't have experience with G-Skill Ripjaws, so I'm not holding it in my jaws. here some reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0171GQR0C?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Solution

There's compatibility warning about b450 chipset with the cpu. don't worry, according to motherboard's website it's safe.
What I like about the motherboard is, it's 5cm less tall than yours. So it's cute. yet it has 4 ram slots, you can expand to 64gb when you wish. Others may protest my choice of motherboard, they say a newer chipset and 128gb support is a better option. But I think you'll never get more than 64GB ram. you have 24gb now, you'll get 32 with the build I'm suggesting and you still have room to double that. I have 32gb ram, it never gets used more than 16gb unless when I'm simulating ocean waves with foam, spray and bubbles.

Come on, it's cute. motherboard has M in its name, stands for mini. doesn't need a mini case, every fat case can swallow minis.

here's motherboard's website, so the warning should not worry you:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-1x#kf

You can buy a Samsung SSD, I just picked HP because I have it and price is 10$ cheaper. HP even has faster read speed than Samsung. Of course Samsung is prescribed as general top brand, I don't want to give 10$ to rich guys. So I hail HP. you can tell your grandson that HP stands for Harry Potter. then Santa will tell him you lied. But think about Hero Status; it's easier for Dumbledore to say HP than to say Samsung.

See HP EX950 has 3500mbps read speed, while Samsung EVO has 3400. Also HP endurance is 650 Terabytes until it dies, while Samsung lifespan is 600 terabytes. Also games read more than write, so higher read speed is better for gaming. So I'm holding that 10$ like a bone between my jaws. I hate samsung, I hate when everybody loves one thing.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hp-ex950-nvme-ssd-2tb,5306.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-970-evo-ssd-review,5573.html

in this pdf, datasheet you see Samsung read is 100megabytes slower than hp and it lives 50terabytes less:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81FMdKXxvvL.pdf

Ok, now it's time to get to the neck. The graphics 5700xt and processor 3600x don't bite each other's neck:
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_5_3600X/Radeon_RX_5700_XT/0Um14j28/8/100

what you can get from nVidia to be faster than 5700xt are these models: 1080Ti, 2070 Super, 2080, 3060Ti all more expensive. Unless you can find 3060Ti with good price.

here's 3060Ti, if you find any that is not sold out, be very quiet and press add to cart. don't let anyone see you.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shop/g...t=9&locale=en-us&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 3060 Ti

you can get Corsair ram instead of G-Skill. I just wanted to save some bucks. I don't have experience with G-Skill Ripjaws, so I'm not holding it in my jaws. here some reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0171GQR0C?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Even used, that 850W is overkill. RM650x is best for this build. Also since there is a 1060, use that until 3060 Ti stocks replenish. No need to rush, just get the 3060 Ti when available, it's quite a big difference in performance.

Reactions: LeiHeJun

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
3500 vs 3400 means exactly zero in day to day use.

650TBW vs 600TBW means 22 year lifespan vs 20 years.
Again, zero in normal use.

I highly disagree. that 2 extra years of lifespan makes a lot of sense it you've read this :

Oh well, I guess I just inherited a better one than the one I'm typing on now!

btw @USAFRet you know it's more like 10years vs 12years than something around 20 years.
and what's wrong about HP? Steve Jobs was working there when he was young. He just picked up the phone and called their CEO.

Even used, that 850W is overkill. RM650x is best for this build. Also since there is a 1060, use that until 3060 Ti stocks replenish. No need to rush, just get the 3060 Ti when available, it's quite a big difference in performance.

I agree, keeping 1060 and wait for 3060Ti is an excellent idea.
but for power supply I have two reasons:
RMx has zero fan mode, if it's not under high load, fans won't spin. PSU with higher wattages have a higher threshold for lower fan noise.
also RM650x is 125$. why not pay 25 dollars more for 200 extra watts.
He uses pc for Oculus VR, may later add more ram, gpu. he's got two monitors. he already has 600w psu, you want him to replace it just to get 50w more?
he already watercools his cpu, may be he decides watercooling gpu. he literally typed in all caps that he wants more power.

but it's better he just keeps his current psu and buys the RM850x with 3060Ti later.

with 850w it's guaranteed to enjoy zero fan more during daily tasks. with 650w your fans may start spinning even not gaming. So although the dimensions are too big to hold it between my jaws, but here we go Aaargggh

I highly disagree. that 2 extra years of lifespan makes a lot of sense it you've read this :

btw @USAFRet you know it's more like 10years vs 12years than something around 20 years.
and what's wrong about HP? Steve Jobs was working there when he was young. He just picked up the phone and called their CEO.

I agree, keeping 1060 and wait for 3060Ti is an excellent idea.
but for power supply I have two reasons:
RMx has zero fan mode, if it's not under high load, fans won't spin. PSU with higher wattages have a higher threshold for lower fan noise.
also RM650x is 125$. why not pay 25 dollars more for 200 extra watts.
He uses pc for Oculus VR, may later add more ram, gpu. he's got two monitors. he already has 600w psu, you want him to replace it just to get 50w more?
he already watercools his cpu, may be he decides watercooling gpu. he literally typed in all caps that he wants more power.

but it's better he just keeps his current psu and buys the RM850x with 3060Ti later.

with 850w it's guaranteed to enjoy zero fan more during daily tasks. with 650w your fans may start spinning even not gaming. So although the dimensions are too big to hold it between my jaws, but here we go Aaargggh
Hmmm it can be useful for the more power thing, but really the case fans would probably be louder than the psu lol. Anyway, 850 is indeed a good deal for just $25 extra, and given it's got a long warranty it can be used for years, unlike the CX600 which is not very great quality anyway. RMx is top tier

USAFRet

Titan
  1. In the context of normal consumer use, 600TBW is years and years.
  2. That is just the warranty number, not when it will "die". Consumer grade SSD's have been proven to last long beyond that. Into the petabyte range
  3. In your personal SSD's, how much data have you written to them?

In my system, specs below, the 7 drives have a cumulative ~85TBW. Some of these drives now 6 years old.
Lets combine that all onto one drive....85TBW in 6 years = 14TBW per year.
At that use rate, 600TBW = 42 years.
650TBW would be 45 years.

I'm pretty sure the OPs grandson won't still be using this drive when he is 53 years old.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My 11 yo grandson has asked me to upgrade his pc so I can gift him some games he wants (what's a grandad for after all?) Below is the current configuration which needs to be upgraded to i7a-7700K and GTX-1080 (according to what is listed as minimum requirements). What do I need to accomplish this (new motherboard needed, different case because of the new motherboard, etc.)? He plays with Oculus Quest VR and looking to play "The Wizards Dark Times VR" , "Boneworks", and "Asgards Wrath".
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated so that I can maintain my "hero" status in his eyes!!
He has the Oculus Quest and has been playing games with the current configuration, but he wants MORE POWER!
UPDATE: Motherboard is Asus Z97-K Power Supply: Corsair CX600
I've also taken a few photos that better minds than mine can interpret...
133300794_10218034510601731_3165854594885689749_n.jpg
134578791_10218034510681733_4269135586806215654_n.jpg
133275166_10218034510441727_6854211765494288981_n.jpg

CPU-Z TXT Report
Processors
Number of sockets 1
Number of threads 4
APICs

Socket 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 4 (max 4)
Manufacturer GenuineIntel
Name Intel Core i5 4690K
Codename Haswell
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 1150 LGA (0x1)
CPUID 6.C.3
Extended CPUID 6.3C
Core Stepping C0
Technology 22 nm
TDP Limit 88.0 Watts
Tjmax 100.0 °C
Core Speed 4299.0 MHz

L1 Data cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 4 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 4 x 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L3 cache 6 MBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Turbo Mode supported, enabled
Max non-turbo ratio 35x
Max turbo ratio 43x
Max efficiency ratio 8x

BIOS
UEFI Yes
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS MSG 63-0100-000001-00101111-080913-Chipset
BIOS Date 08/09/13
Mainboard Vendor 000001
Chipset
Northbridge Intel Haswell rev. 06
Southbridge Intel Z97 rev. 00
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 24 GBytes
Channels Dual
Memory Frequency 1066.5 MHz (1:8)
CAS# latency (CL) 11.0
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 11
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11
Cycle Time (tRAS) 30
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 278
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Uncore Frequency 3899.1 MHz
Host Bridge 0x0C00

Memory SPD
DIMM # 1
Size 8192 MBytes

DIMM # 2
Size 4096 MBytes

DIMM # 3
Size 8192 MBytes

DIMM # 4
Size 4096 MBytes
Hardware monitor Nuvoton NCT6791D

Hardware monitor NVIDIA NVAPI
Clock Speed 0 139.00 MHz [0x8B] (Graphics)
Clock Speed 1 405.00 MHz [0x195] (Memory)
Clock Speed 2 n.a. (Processor)

Display adapter 0
ID 0x1090306
Name NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Codename GP106-400
Cores 1280
ROP Units 48
TM Units 80
Technology 16 nm
Memory size 6 GB
Memory type GDDR5
PCI device bus 1 (0x1), device 0 (0x0), function 0 (0x0)
Core clock 139.0 MHz
Memory clock 405.0 MHz

Monitor 0
Model BenQ XL2720T ()
Horizontal Freq. Range 30-140 kHz
Vertical Freq. Range 56-120 Hz
Max Pixel Clock 330 MHz
Gamma Factor 2.2

Monitor 1
Model 27MP34 (LG Electronics (GoldStar))
Horizontal Freq. Range 30-83 kHz
Vertical Freq. Range 56-75 Hz
Max Pixel Clock 150 MHz
Gamma Factor 2.2

Software
Windows Version Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Home 64-bit (Build 19041)
DirectX Version 12.0
In general you need a new PC to get to the MINIMUM specks. I would not recommend going with the lowest specks you need the playing experience can be bad.

Be careful who you listen to on the web some have little to no experience and who knows could be 12.

Edit. This site here is 100% garbage never use it.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
  1. In the context of normal consumer use, 600TBW is years and years.
  2. That is just the warranty number, not when it will "die". Consumer grade SSD's have been proven to last long beyond that. Into the petabyte range
  3. In your personal SSD's, how much data have you written to them?
In my system, specs below, the 7 drives have a cumulative ~85TBW. Some of these drives now 6 years old.
Lets combine that all onto one drive....85TBW in 6 years = 14TBW per year.
At that use rate, 600TBW = 42 years.
650TBW would be 45 years.

I'm pretty sure the OPs grandson won't still be using this drive when he is 53 years old.

I used 2793gb in 254 days. it was second had already 3201gb written. so 659606gtw is left

(650*1024-(3201+2793))/float(2793/254)

so mine will be on March 24th 2185 - leap years included

Other than the video card you'd want a new build imo which can be done for cheap. Right around $600 would be my guess.
https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-110r-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811139146
Corsair Carbide Series 110R CC-9011183-WW $64.99

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-core-series-core-gm-650-650w/p/N82E16817151244
Seasonic CORE GM-650, 650W 80+ Gold, Semi-Modular $89.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157918R
ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4 LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard (Open Box) $127.99

https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i5-10400f-core-i5-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118132
Intel Core i5-10400F $161.99

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232882
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 $74.99

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-bx500-1tb/p/N82E16820156231
Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD $84.99

Total: $605 (not including rebates)

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-gv-n306teagle-8gd/p/N82E16814932379
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3060 Ti $399.99

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti

https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-rtx-3060-ti-review-170018640.html

tNj4WJaqC3TW7J9sGXoDPb-970-80.png

Last edited: