Question Do I need to upgrade my motherboard

Dec 21, 2019
Hello All,

I am still new to building PC’s so this might be a really stupid question. I currently have a really low end Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard that I used when I first built my PC. I was thinking of upgrading my GPU, but my motherboard is extremely cheap. I was looking to get a MSI Micro ATX board.

My question is whether I should upgrade my motherboard for better Ram/Processor since the one I have maxes out at 3200mhz or should I upgrade my 1060 to a 2060 Super or RX 5700. I am not sure if I even need to upgrade my motherboard since it was so cheap and I only got it because I was on a tight budget.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX
GTX 1060 (6GB)
16GB (4x4GB) of Ram @ 3000mhz
1TB 7400RPM
256GB SSD
Cooler Master Q300L
Seasonic 520W Bronze+

Last edited:
Okay, would you suggest I upgrade my GPU to a 2060 Super then?
I see no reason not too. I assume you are gaming at 1080p. How much of an FPS boost you see will depend on the game and what game settings you are running. If you are running very high game settings today you will see a bigger FPS gain than if you are running medium game settings today. At medium settings it’s more likely you will hit cpu limitations reducing the FPS gains from a new gpu.

Bobbysix

Commendable
Dec 20, 2019
If I were you, I would go for a GPU upgrade, possibly a RX 5700XT or 2060 Super depending on how much money you have to spend. It is not worth getting a better motherboard because you are buying into a dead platform (after next year at least). Wait a couple of years and then buy a new motherboard and AMD CPU - your current CPU is good until then. Remember that for most systems the GPU is the bottleneck, not the CPU or motherboard.

Reactions: MatthewNolt
Dec 21, 2019
If I were you, I would go for a GPU upgrade, possibly a RX 5700XT or 2060 Super depending on how much money you have to spend. It is not worth getting a better motherboard because you are buying into a dead platform (after next year at least). Wait a couple of years and then buy a new motherboard and AMD CPU - your current CPU is good until then. Remember that for most systems the GPU is the bottleneck, not the CPU or motherboard.
Awesome I’m looking at both of those GPU’s I think I will go with the 2060 Super