[SOLVED] Do I Need to Upgrade My PC for What I Want To Do?

Jan 10, 2019
Hey all,

Here is my current setup:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rHmKQZ

First off, any great 1440p, 144Hz, 1ms monitor suggestions? I am in the market for one :)

So, right now I am gaming at 1080p. My 1060 6gb can handle most of the games I play (Rainbow Six SIege, PUBG, Far Cry 5, several Single player games, etc.) on max settings with a decent/playable frame rate - even though the frame rate tends to not be heavily consistent.

Anyways, I want to upgrade to 1440p gaming. Not 4k, that is out of my budget and I would rather have the more consistent, higher frames that come with 1440p rather than the lower, inconsistent 4k (correct me if I am wrong lol).

For my current setup, do I need to upgrade my gpu and/or cpu? Or can my current set up handle 1440p on max settings (may even settle for high haha) and all I need to do is get a 1440p monitor?

If I need to upgrade my gpu/cpu, do I need a new psu to handle the new specs?

Thank you all for your time and responses!

Solution
For an example I have a 1440p 144hz monitor and GTX1080, in newer heavy titles I might get 80-90 FPS somewhat consistently at max settings. GTX1060 is basically half that. Fine for 1080p gaming and lighter games at 1440p@60hz, but 144hz you need something like a GTX1070Ti, GTX1080, RTX2070 and up for a good experience.

So I would say the only real change you would need is to upgrade your GPU along with the monitor.

As for good monitors the Dell looks reasonably priced right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MXQG3C/dell-s2719dgf-270-2560x1440-155-hz-monitor-s2719dgf

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For an example I have a 1440p 144hz monitor and GTX1080, in newer heavy titles I might get 80-90 FPS somewhat consistently at max settings. GTX1060 is basically half that. Fine for 1080p gaming and lighter games at 1440p@60hz, but 144hz you need something like a GTX1070Ti, GTX1080, RTX2070 and up for a good experience.

So I would say the only real change you would need is to upgrade your GPU along with the monitor.

As for good monitors the Dell looks reasonably priced right now: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MXQG3C/dell-s2719dgf-270-2560x1440-155-hz-monitor-s2719dgf

Solution
Jan 10, 2019

Thanks for the help! What is your opinion on upgrading my gpu soon? With the release of the rtx 2060, I was considering picking it up because it's SUPPOSED to be on par with the 1070ti (better if OC). I was going to wait until further testing and reviews by YT'ers come out. But do you see a good gpu option with the current market? Or would it be smarter to wait X amount of time?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Good GPU option depends solely on what you are willing to spend. My ideal choice for 1440p would probably be the RTX2080, but I'm not willing to pay that much this go around. Personally, I am holding out for Nvidia's next process node shrink. AMD will beat them to the market, but if they don't make Vega 56 and Vega 64 equivalents of the RTX2080Ti with their 7nm process at some point...I think the next wave from Nvidia is going to be quite something (Might cost a mint though)

RTX2060 has the equivalent core count to a GTX1070 (and is priced as such) and whatever architecture improvements, plus the much faster memory (and some RT and Tensor cores). So GTX1070Ti levels of performance are certainly in range there. Still a fairly expensive card though.

It might be worth waiting for Radeon VII cards. They are talking RTX2070 performance levels with their mid-range (though now really upper mid-range) card. So a few tiers down from there might be worth it.

Jan 10, 2019

Yeah I'm definitely going to wait and see what happens with Radeon VII cards and how they compare to Nvidia's at least. I don't feel comfortable buying a GPU right now because of where the market is right now. Don't want to drop a crap ton of money on a 2070 (specially not a 2080 like you said haha), just for its AMD counterpart to be equivalent or better than it for a much cheaper price.

Yeah I'm going to wait everything out because the GPU I get will determine my monitor purchase (g sync or free sync).

Last question for ya: so say I were to buy a 2070, or its AMD/Radeon/Vega counterpart in the future. Would I need to upgrade from my Ryzen 5 2600 CPU? Or would it be able to handle it? Keep in mind I use my PC for mainly gaming with some homework and coding. And would the GPU (and possible CPU) upgrade(s) need a higher wattage PSU?

Suggestions for CPU and/or PSU? :)))

Thank you!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No longer are you stuck with G-sync. Nvidia recently announced they will support adaptive sync (free sync) panels. They have a certification process, but most freesync monitors will work with Nvidia cards now.

R5-2600 is a decent processor. The opportunity to drop in a Ryzen 3000 series part exists. Given what we know in rumor form, and just from general knowledge about process node shrinks, they will probably be in the 4.3-4.7Ghz range depending on the part. Which will put it on par with Intel's Skylake and possibly Kabylake levels of performance.

The configuration you are talking about is far more dependent on GPU than it is CPU. If you wanted maximum FPS then Intel is still the way to go, but if you are going to pair a high end monitor with a GPU that can't max it out, then CPU becomes less important.

GTX 1080 is not going to cut it for a consistent experience at or above 60FPS @1440p; not @ultra, and definitely not @max settings. 1080Ti, 2080, 2080Ti won't cut it either for truly demanding games, you will have to lower settings to get anywhere close to FPS that match the refresh rate @1440p with a GTX 1080.

VMlX3E5.png
[/url][/img]

nOZbvmW.png
[/url][/img]

tTJ3nGo.png
[/url][/img]

3kCWUjO.png
[/url][/img]

I have 100 and 144Hz monitors as well as GTX 1080Ti SLI/1080 GPUs and even 1080Ti SLI can't hit 100FPS on Ultra (not even max) in games like Ghost Recon Wildlands.