[SOLVED] Do I need to upgrade my psu for my optiplex3010 to output 75Watts on Pcie

Jul 30, 2020
Hi, I am upgrading my optiplex 3010 and I already purchased an SSD, 600W power supply and Gtx 1650 Low profile.
The graphics card is getting here tomorrow but the power supply will get here Tuesday. Do I need to wait for the power supply to plug my graphics card in? It’s a minitower 3010 and it says online that it’ll output 75 Watts from the PCiE slot. I just want to know if something bad will happen if I do that, or should I just wait for the power supply to arrive.

The stock power supply is 275W.

Solution
That actually could work, 300w/gpu, 77w/cpu and +/- 10-20w for hdd, disk drive etc. It seems it would still be over limit but 300w is the gpu maximum load, it's highly unlikely it will eat that much. Just be carefull and if you notice any sort of hickup in performance, screen freezing or sudden restarts/shutdowns drop it.
Jul 30, 2020
I wouldn't try it since recommended amount for gpu itself is 300w so already more than ur current entire supply. It might work but it's imo not worth it coz you might end up frying ur stock psu and even possibly other component with it.
What if I used a 375W one that I have lying around? Will that risk frying something?

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
That actually could work, 300w/gpu, 77w/cpu and +/- 10-20w for hdd, disk drive etc. It seems it would still be over limit but 300w is the gpu maximum load, it's highly unlikely it will eat that much. Just be carefull and if you notice any sort of hickup in performance, screen freezing or sudden restarts/shutdowns drop it.

Solution
Jul 30, 2020

ok thanks. I think I’ll just wait for the 600W to get here haha.