[SOLVED] Do i need to upgrade my PSU for the new video card?

syler1

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
I'm getting next week the INNO3D GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI GAMING OC X3
And I don't have any knowledge about how the PSU works.

Also, If i must upgrade my PSU, can i just plug out all existing cables, insert new PSU and insert all the old cables? or it doesn't work that way?

My current specs:
  • Intel Core i7 8700 / 1151 tray
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
  • Gigabyte Z370M DS3H
  • DDR4 16GB (8Gx2)
  • IPPON PSU 550W
  • SSD 360GB 2.5" SATA3
  • Seagame HDD 1TB SATA3 7200 RPM
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8GB HDDR5X OC
  • 27" monitor

Solution

Also, If i must upgrade my PSU, can i just plug out all existing cables, insert new PSU and insert all the old cables? or it doesn't work that way?

My current specs:
  • Gigabyte Z370M DS3H
  • DDR4 16GB (8Gx2)
  • IPPON PSU 550W
  • SSD 360GB 2.5" SATA3
  • 27" monitor
Swap that psu.
Don't put it anywhere near that 2080ti.

It probably actually has enough watts, but that unit is of very low quality. I would doubt it can actually deliver 550 watts of...

My current specs:
  • Gigabyte Z370M DS3H
  • DDR4 16GB (8Gx2)
  • IPPON PSU 550W
  • SSD 360GB 2.5" SATA3
  • 27" monitor
Swap that psu.

It probably actually has enough watts, but that unit is of very low quality. I would doubt it can actually deliver 550 watts of power, and even if, its just not a good unit at all.

A new psu is just unplug, pull out and put a new one in, simple as that.
But you can't insert the old cables, you need to plug the new ones, so you'll have to cable manage it again.

Choose from here any psu that is atleast 550 watts, preferably 600 or 650, and is ATLEAST B tier, on that system I would perfer an A, but B is fine too.

Solution

syler1

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
Swap that psu.

It probably actually has enough watts, but that unit is of very low quality. I would doubt it can actually deliver 550 watts of power, and even if, its just not a good unit at all.

A new psu is just unplug, pull out and put a new one in, simple as that.
But you can't insert the old cables, you need to plug the new ones, so you'll have to cable manage it again.

Choose from here any psu that is atleast 550 watts, preferably 600 or 650, and is ATLEAST B tier, on that system I would perfer an A, but B is fine too.

but if i would still try and stick the new video card in, what is the worst case scenario?
would my pc overheat? make strange sounds? or will it won't turn on?

but if i would still try and stick the new video card in, what is the worst case scenario?
Well, it would either just shutdown whenever you try to open an application, or just not turn on at all.
It might actually work, with no problem, but that psu WILL sweat, and die prematurely.

Worst case scenario, it explodes (I doubt that will happen, so this is mostly as a joke, but that actually can happen, however unlikely)

Cheap power supplies usually take out other parts when they die.
So your new 2080 TI could be toast a few seconds after starting a game when the power supply tries to put out full power and fails.
It can also kill ram, motherboard, drives, CPU etc.....
Ive had it happen many years ago and only use quality power supplies now.

TRENDING THREADS